IGNORED

Valve shim specs.

hey guy's,

The manual I have state's that at TDC on the compression stroke on #1 cylinder that it can be acknowledged by the cam lobe's being opposite or facing away from each other. When I achieve TDC the cam lobe's are facing each other. Am I missing something hear or has 15 years of wrenching on cage's diminished my sense's? Is there a procedure listed here somewhere or have any of you done your own valve shim check? Thank's for any info, Jake.

I did do my own shims and I seem to remember the lobes facing away from each other but its been a year or more since I did them. It could have been like you said. I would just verify the stroke by watching the valves stems and bring it to TDC on the compression stroke and shim it. I seem to remember that I was also thinking that when I did mine if one was opening then the other valve was surely at its 0 point so I could shim it then.

Don't know if this helps but remember that a 4 stroke engine is at TDC twice during the 4 cycles....once on compression, once at end of exhaust stroke.

If the cams are facing each other...if you rotate crankshaft another 360 degrees so the mark shows on the crank again...the camshafts will have rotated only 180 degrees (camshafts turn 1/2 crank speed). This should put them facing away from each other.

I've done mine myself, and I would have said that they were facing toward each other. I may be remembering wrong by now. I'm not sure that it matters really. The point of it is to make sure that the valves and shims are on the base circle of the cam and not on the ramps or the nose anywhere.

BTW, you really need to learn how to use an apostrophe. There should not be one single apostrophe in your whole post. Having all those in there is not only incorrect, but it makes it difficult to read.