IGNORED

Going to install SpeedHealer on my '06 RSMTD

After this last weekend's ride down to San Jose, then up to Sacramento/Auburn, then back home to Olympia, WA...I am tired of the error factor on my speedo and Odo.

I have previously installed the SpeedHealer units on my previous 3 GL-1800's, dialing them in to match my Garmin Zumo 550. Now it is a must that I install a new SpeedHealer on this '06 RSMTD.

I am disappointed that Yamaha had to join all the others in putting out a speedo that reads so darn high, compared to what the bike is really doing.

If I just putted down the road, doing the speed limit, and falling aslepp like the rest of the sheep in traffic, then it would not be needed as bad. But it is still crazy to be riding along just slightly faster than the flow of the other vehicles, and my speedo reads 80 - 85 mph.

I have had such great success with the SpeedHealer on my other bikes, and am hoping that the same device (but specific to the RSTD) will correct the error factor in my otherwise cool looking speedo.

If my speedo is reading 85 mph, I want to really be riding at 85 mph...not 75 or even 72 mph.

Urgh ! I will get this issue fixed.

BTW, those new Flanders handlebars (650-08783) really are nice. Yeah !

Guest tx2sturgis

There are a lot of threads dealing with this issue.

One of them was started by me about 4 years ago:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25233&highlight=speedohealer

Here are some things to remember, in no particular order:

Its a plug and play install, but accurate calibration will take you an hour or two. Have a good GPS handy to really get it where you want it.

The speedometer AND the odometer cannot be corrected to dead-on simultaneously. Pick one or the other that you want to be accurate. ( I chose the odometer, with the resulting speedo error about 2 mph high)

Your APPARENT fuel mileage will decrease after the speedohealer is installed. The bike will still travel the same distance on a gallon of gas as it always has, but the indicated miles will now be more accurate, rather than about 7-10% optimistic. On the other hand, after 5 or 10 years of ownership, that difference MIGHT make the bike's resale value a tad higher, due to fewer indicated miles on the clock.

Edited by tx2sturgis