IGNORED

Larger Saddlebags for RSTD ???

Does anyone know of, or have seen anywhere a larger version of the hard saddlebags for the RSTD ?

What I want (ha ha ha) is to have my '06 RSMTD bags be taller, or higher. The width, length, etc. is fine, but IMHO these bags are too small. I am used to much larger saddlebags, and a tour trunk. Since I have a bike that did not come with a tour trunk, and...I have removed the rear seat and passenger backrest to make my bike a solo ride...I have a need for much larger saddlebags.

As for the idea from some of you that I could install a rear rack, and put a tour trunk on that...I already have a rear fender rack, in place of where the rear seat was...and bolted to that is a newer aluminum rack, and bolted to that is a Saddleman Leather trunk that is used to house my Aux. Fuel Tank (another 5 gallons). So there is no room for an additional trunk in that area.

If I cannot find a suitable aftermarket saddlebag that fits nicely in place of where my original OEM hard bags are (and I do have the yamaha chrome rails that go around the saddlbags), then...my choice would be to either have a plastics manufacturer alter my current bags to be about 4 inches taller...simply the slice and paste method, which would still allow me to utilize all the OEM mounting system, the OEM lids and locking systems. All I would be doing is extending the height of the current bags, to raise the top of the lids up to the level of the rear fender. That would give me approximately 42.395 % more storage space (I did say it was approximate).

Or...failing that...I could find a good leather saddlebag maker to make me a complete set of new saddlebags, hard formed...that would be of the perfect size, and that would be close to looks to match the bike. If they are hard formed enough, they would be as good as the OEM bags, only larger.

So...all you longtime searchers, have you heard of or seen any larger saddlebags that will fit the RSTD ?

If not...and if I have my current ones remade my a plastics (ABS) manufacturer into what I have described above (with pictures to follow), would anyone else be interested in having this done too?

Thanks,

Larger leather bags might be the best option. Yamaha doesn't make a larger sized saddle in the OEM style, and if your thinking about chopping up the ones you have now they'll need to be repainted if you want them to look good.... unless you don't care about cosmetics?? Keep us posted on what you decide to do... Take pics... :)