IGNORED

Oil filter O-Ring??

Yammer Dan

Fighting another that don't want to go. I don't change this thing with every filter but was this time and can't get it to lay down in grove as it should. Not the 1st time!! What do the rest of you stick them on there with. Don't really want to see oil on my new floor. I leave enough spots on Skid's.:think:

Use grease fill the groove with it then put the oring in.

:sign yeah that: A viscous, sticky substance will do the trick. I got a little tub of some stuff called "FuelLube" from my dad that was used in the aviation industry. It's almost like soft candle wax... very tacky and designed to be around engines & their parts. Matter of fact just yesterday I used some to tack a petcock oring in place. Good stuff.

I have used the same oil filter o-ring for probably a dozen years. I had rebuilt a Turbo 350 Chevy transmission and one of the seals was exactly the same diameter as the bike seal. The only difference is it is crossectionally square. It has worked perfect and has never leaked.

RandyA

Thanks redneck. I should have remembered that one from the time I put 4 qts of oil on the ground!!! this one just didn't want to stay were I wanted it!!Worked like a charm. The time I lost the oil I tried that with no luck!! Finally threw that O-Ring away. Just couldn't get it in there.

I also re-use the old O ring until it gets nicked or damaged. I've only had problems with 2 since 1979 when I started riding my XS-750 which uses the same filter and housing. I have found that the O rings that come with the Fram filters (please no comments about using Fram cartridges) have a slightly larger diameter than the Yammie O rings, and they are a pain to install. I install the OEM O rings by coating them with oil and placing them in the filter housing and installing it on the bike.