IGNORED

AMA Membership................

DragonRider

Is it worth the $39.00 a year to join the AMA, do the benefits pay for themselves, they mention discounts at dealers, is the mag any good, is the insurance discounted much?............curious minds want to know....

IMHO,, the AMA is like any other big organization.. If your looking for a "family" atmosphere (like on here) and personalized care you wont find it with the AMA, BUT,, and this IS a huge BUT,, they do a LOT of good for our sport and they do represent us in the legal arena's.. The mag is cool, the stickers make great conversation pieces and,, at times, you do get some discounts along the way.. I personally feel the same about them as I do the NRA, any organization that actually takes a stand against the treehugging idiots that place the life of a Blue Garner Butterfly above human life have my support.. To me, the key is to do your research and KNOW that they are actually doing something and not just banking our money,, and in that prespective the AMA is active!!

'Puc

In my experience all motorcycle organizations need to be judged by the heart. If it is only about what do I get for my money forget it! You will be dissapointed every time. Do you beleive in what they stand for? Do they represent your veiws on the subject? If your finances are so tight that you need to weigh out what you recieve back I would wait until you feel more compelled to give. Sometimes its just about "friends"! :soapbox:

The magazine is decent and I'm pretty sure what I save on insurance is more than the $39 a year I pay.. And I do occasionally buy parts from bikebandit.com online and get the AMA discount. I haven't really used the other discounts and benefits.

Lewis,

My discount at Progressive alone paid for the membership, but I agree with what every one else said previously, too. They provide a voice for ALL motorcyclists in both state and Federal legislatures and even go to bat for individuals in motorcycle related incidents. You would be amazed at some of the restrictive laws that are coming up or have already been defeated by the AMA. They have prevented some laws from getting on the books that would be bad for every rider and have helped to reverse other laws that attack motorcyclists. The magazine is pretty good, too. Bottom line - I feel they put my $39 to good use. If you enjoy riding and would like to continue - can you afford NOT to be a member?

BTW - The museum is awesome - worth a little ride to OH just for that.