IGNORED

What are these wires/plug for?

See the attached pictures.

The wires in question look like Black with red line running the length of the wire and black with intermittant white bands.

They go into the wiring harness thru the plug shown on top of the chrome bar.

2nd picture shows black with white bands better.

Neither one seem to carry power! I've tried lights, brakes, accessory switches, cruise on/ pushed set, accel, cancel....nothing!

The large clear hose you see is for my air horns.

Also, the soft rubber plug on the air intake for the cruise pump...is it supposed to go into a hole somewhere?

I don't see anywhere for it to mount into. Or is it not a plug? Almost feels like it could be a bellows or something.

My cruise isn't working so I'm trying to figure that out also.

That compressor rack under the back trunk is actually for the CLASS air suspension system, I don't have one to track it down for ya, but it's not hooked into the cruise system! I'll look at the cruise system on my 87 parts bike and see how it's wired and hooked in. It's all up under the left side of the lower part of the front fairing.

OK ....trunk light...so which ONE of the wires should be live? I"m thinking the one with the white bands?

I hate wiring issues.

I found one added on wire for my extra running lights that was flattened and exposed where it was pinched. That explains the fuses blowing. A couple wires with cracks in the insulation that might also have been causing problems.

Thanks Dano....I guess if I had looked at the manual I would have figured that much out!

The pics in the manual are really hard to see details in...but the general area should have been pretty obvious!:doh:

I found the other "plug" too....I never knew there was a filter back there! So what is the "solvent" the manual says I should clean this filter with?

Edited by Trader

Also, the soft rubber plug on the air intake for the cruise pump...is it supposed to go into a hole somewhere?

I don't see anywhere for it to mount into. Or is it not a plug? Almost feels like it could be a bellows or something.

My cruise isn't working so I'm trying to figure that out also.

The large rubber gizzmo is the intake valve for the CLASS system. It is not attached to anything on this end. There is a one way valve in the large section.

There is nothing in this end of the bike that will affect the cruise control. Cruise has its own vacuum pump located under right front fairing. You might be able to see it if you pull right front turn signal out.

This is the 88 i am guessing, is the pod lighting up when you press the power button?

Gary

yep...3 lights go on...for about 1 sec as they are supposed to...then all go off except power.

I haven't done the troubleshooting in the manual yet....thought I'd try and stop blowing fuses first!!!!

yep...3 lights go on...for about 1 sec as they are supposed to...then all go off except power.

I haven't done the troubleshooting in the manual yet....thought I'd try and stop blowing fuses first!!!!

Is cruise totally not working or intermittent. Try holding set button in for 3~5 seconds & see if that helps.

Do indicator lights in pod change when you try to engage cruise?

Something to check that will cause cruise issues is the amount of slack in the cable from the bellows to the throttle cable junction box. PIA to check cause left front fairing has to come off. Free play is supposed to be 1/16".

Other issues could be loose or bad switch/housing on clutch. Brakes are easy to verify as brake light will not work correct if these have issues, but the clutch side is a little sneakier.

Do the turn signals self cancel? If not this could indicate a problem with the reed switch in the speedometer head. Same switch is tied to holding speed & sending info to turn signal cancel circuit.

Could be dirty contacts in throttle side switch.

Cruise is hard to troubleshoot, cause it don't work below about 30mph, hard to test in the garage.

Gary

Is cruise totally not working or intermittent. Total not working

Try holding set button in for 3~5 seconds & see if that helps.

Do indicator lights in pod change when you try to engage cruise? I noticed different lights coming on when I was moving....but didn't see pattern. I'll check some things out and get back to you on it.

Something to check that will cause cruise issues is the amount of slack in the cable from the bellows to the throttle cable junction box. PIA to check cause left front fairing has to come off. Free play is supposed to be 1/16".

Other issues could be loose or bad switch/housing on clutch.

First place I'll check...not started in gear so probably issues here.

Brakes are easy to verify as brake light will not work correct if these have issues, but the clutch side is a little sneakier.

Do the turn signals self cancel? Yes..not sure if time or distance triggers it.

If not this could indicate a problem with the reed switch in the speedometer head. Same switch is tied to holding speed & sending info to turn signal cancel circuit.

Could be dirty contacts in throttle side switch.

Cruise is hard to troubleshoot, cause it don't work below about 30mph, hard to test in the garage.Manual says in 5th...is that the only gear it will work in?

Gary

Both/either. The owner manual says 10 seconds (while moving) or 400 feet- whichever occurs first.

Manual says in 5th...is that the only gear it will work in?

Nah, it'll work in any gear but it'll be a LOT more jumpy if not in 5th.

See blue.

Both/either. The owner manual says 10 seconds (while moving) or 400 feet- whichever occurs first.

See blue.

Combination of elapsed time & distance, for self cancelling. Otherwise you will constantly be turning signal on, while waiting at a light. :2cents:

I have the same issue. It lights up but never sets cruise. Just havent got around to fixing it yet. You also have to verify if pump actually works. Theres a light sequence I believe that indicates trouble for cruise too dont remember off the top the head. Doesnt work tho for every issue.

Edited by CrazyHorse