IGNORED

gear box problems

Sorry I forgot to add on my last post about the gear boxes on the Ventures. Reading through the old threads, I can see some people report gear box whines. Do they have a fault with this, do the gear boxes or 4th gear break up? Also can you advise what gear box & engine oil is the best to use. Many, many thanks if you can help.

The whine is in the clutch, not the gear box. Usually fixed or reduced by changing the clutch basket to a different version. If yours does not whine now, it never will. Trying searching "clutch basket".

Since you are English, what are you referring to as the "gearbox"?

I would assume that the "gearbox" is what we call the transmission. If it is, the transmission runs in the engine oil. It is not separate like on a Harley.

The whine people talk about is the primary gear set (crankshaft to clutch basket). Yamaha uses straight cut gears which are inherently noisy. They're also very durable.

On my 89 the sound is more of a whistle at about 3K rpm. Not an issue for me.

If you don't have an annoying whine or whistle that is independent of load don't worry about it. If there is an annoyance a different oil or replacing the clutch basket may make it more tolerable.