IGNORED

Trunk on RSTD stock OEM sissy bar

I have a RSTD 2006 midnight, and I was thinking about buying a trunk with an integrated passenger back rest, but I want to install it on to the OEM quick detach sissy bar that comes with the RSTD. Has anyone don this yet? and if so can you post some pictures so I can see what it looks like. Thanks.

Here is one take on it where the quick release back rest was modified with a platform to take a tour pack. Either modify yours or buy a spare to modify. This is one of the best executions of that idea I have seen.

http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=68329

Lots of other trunk mounting options and threads if you search "trunk" in the RSTD forum.

I ended up buying a used venture trunk mount bracket and bolting a Harley tour pack to it. Four bolts to remove the tour pack and four bolts to remove the trunk mount bracket is quick enough for me. I can tell you once its on, your wife won't want to ride with the stock backrest anymore.

RSTDdog

Here is one take on it where the quick release back rest was modified with a platform to take a tour pack. Either modify yours or buy a spare to modify. This is one of the best executions of that idea I have seen.

http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=68329

Lots of other trunk mounting options and threads if you search "trunk" in the RSTD forum.

I ended up buying a used venture trunk mount bracket and bolting a Harley tour pack to it. Four bolts to remove the tour pack and four bolts to remove the trunk mount bracket is quick enough for me. I can tell you once its on, your wife won't want to ride with the stock backrest anymore.

RSTDdog[/QU

Thanks for the info, it is very helpful, But I wonder if there is a way to do it without having to modify the stock sissy bar, maybe just removing the back rest and using the sissy bar with a trunck attached to it. This is the Trunk I am looking at:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTORCYCLE-TRUNK-FOR-HARLEY-ELECTRA-GLIDE-ROAD-KING-w-RACK-/150817406653?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item231d6afebd&vxp=mtr

Part of the problem with doing that is the rearward lean of the stock RSTD back rest.I think that your platform for the trunk would have to extend back quite a ways or in order to use the trunk backrest, the RSTD backrest would have to go inside the trunk.I don't see any value in either option.You may be able to just mount a plate or rack on the rear fender for your trunk and then take it out of the way if you want to go back to stock.Remember the fender has a 25 lbs weight limit over and above a passenger.This from the sticker on the rack made by Yamaha for the RSTD backrest.I have seen fenders wrinkle when overloaded.