IGNORED

Motorvation Flip Nose Conversion

lsutley

Thanks, to all, for your information, encouragement and good wishes. :happy34:

Fuzzy,

I am planning on proceeding as if this were a boat project. Glass over a wood framework of "spars" and braces, to form the shapes of the mating surfaces, and any interior modifications that are needed.

What is your experience with imbedding metal reinforcement plates in the glass? I am considering a different method of mounting the hinge to the car other than a weld to steel side braces, which in my case would be glassed over wood. The lower hinge mount could be bolted through to the frame but the upper attachment would be secured to a plate, imbedded in the glass, under the nose. :think:

Rick,

Your links worked just fine. Great batch of pictures, my daughter and son-in-law are stationed in Norfolk.

I am planning on using the gas struts for maintaining the lid in the open position. I do not like where Motorvation placed the factory units as they significantly restrict the entry/exit area. A more powerful unit that is shorter, and can be mounted closer to the hinge, is what I am considering at this point. A preloaded torsion spring, installed in the hinge, could offset a considerable amount of weight for the shocks to support? :sign brain fart:

Could you supply a picture of where, and how, your struts are installed?

Thanks, to all, for your information, encouragement and good wishes. :happy34:

Fuzzy,

I am planning on proceeding as if this were a boat project. Glass over a wood framework of "spars" and braces, to form the shapes of the mating surfaces, and any interior modifications that are needed.

What is your experience with imbedding metal reinforcement plates in the glass? I am considering a different method of mounting the hinge to the car other than a weld to steel side braces, which in my case would be glassed over wood. The lower hinge mount could be bolted through to the frame but the upper attachment would be secured to a plate, imbedded in the glass, under the nose. :think:

Rick,

Your links worked just fine. Great batch of pictures, my daughter and son-in-law are stationed in Norfolk.

I am planning on using the gas struts for maintaining the lid in the open position. I do not like where Motorvation placed the factory units as they significantly restrict the entry/exit area. A more powerful unit that is shorter, and can be mounted closer to the hinge, is what I am considering at this point. A preloaded torsion spring, installed in the hinge, could offset a considerable amount of weight for the shocks to support? :sign brain fart:

Could you supply a picture of where, and how, your struts are installed?

I'll get some picture tomorrow morning sometimes and I will place then in my facebook and photo bucket area. Yes I think a preload torsion spring installed in the hinge alonge with the gas struts near the nose should work fine. The struts on my sidecar is place far enough to the nose area there is no hinderance on entry and exits.

Some of the writers on this thread said I think that the ply wood would be too heavy, but from my experience and from the people on the Sidecar Forum all said the the more weight you have on the sidecar will be very helpful. You need the extra ballast to help keep the sidecar on the ground, especially while making right hand turns. Some rider even carry extra weight in the sidecar when not hauling passengers or cargo. Some have even welded hundred pound steel plate to the sidecar sub-frame just to keep the car on the pavement.

My sidecar weighs in at 198 lbs empty and I carry about fifty pounds in the trunk when the sidecar is empty.

Rick A.:Venture:

Your are very welcome. Always happy to welcome a new Hacker (minus the computer) to the world of three wheeling.

By the way make sure that the sidecar, when it is mounted to the bike that the sidecar sits level (tire and wheel is 90 degrees to level on ground or floor) when unoccupied by both driver and rider. If the sidecar is not level on the bike side (bike sits lower than the sidecar) then you run the chance that the inboard side of the sidecar tire could wear quickly to the steel cord, don't ask how I know. I have gone thru three tires already in two years.

I am in the process trying to either lower the sidecar or rise the bike. The shop where I get most of the work done is a custom bike shop and said they can solve the problem and they will mount my new 4 point seat belt system to the chair. It has a lap belt that came with the sidecar and now I think my wife needs something that is a little more secure, the 4 point seems to be the answer.

If you have any questions another place the check is http://www.sidecar.com/

or you could try me, as a last resort.:thumbsup2:

Rick A.