IGNORED

Here is a man who likes to ride

Freebird

Guest KitCarson

Well it has been 26 years since I have crashed........and this gentleman says there are only two kinds of bikers.....those who have crashed and those who are going to.......I wish to add a third.......those who have crashed and will again......I hope it is a easy one..........because if I have my way....I will ride at that age also. I do think it time I go to a full face helmet......just in case

Guest tx2sturgis

I have a friend who managed to crash seriously TWICE.

The first time he was laid up for a few months, the second time...not as bad, but still cant ride for awhile.

Most riders who crash, realize how frikkin bad it hurts, and do everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, to keep that kinda hurt from happening again. Kinda like 'shell shock' I guess, but I can tell ya, the one time I crashed is permanently imbedded in my brain, and I do everything to keep that from being a replay.

Most riders that I know, who have had an unscheduled get-off, ride safer and pretty much beat the odds from then on. Not sayin it cant happen again, but a big 'oucher' sometimes makes a better rider.

I have had two serious crashes ( a hundred minor ones) The first one I had 27 broken bones, some very serious head injuries, and walked out of the hospital 3 weeks later and was back to work as a carpenter in 5 weeks. Was also 28 yrs old!!! Broke a ankle kick once starting a old Trumpet wore cast for week and half, cut it off and was back to work climbing telephone poles next day. This last one cost me a year and half from work and I will never be the same, don't have youth working for me but never had a leg crushed like that. You could probally have counted a hundred breaks in it everyone here knows all about that one. Couldn't wait to get back up both times. Would like to think I was never going down again but.....

Thanks Don, another good read, truly an inspiration. Dave Swisher a million-mile man, hope to be like him when I grow up!:rotf: Met a gentleman 82 years young weekend before last. Cecil rides a Gold Wing Trike, says after riding with us that Sat., he probably try to hook up with us again as, the fellows he had been riding with were not as dedicated as he was.:rotf: I hope he's still riding his trike, when I take the plunge, and add another wheel to my ride, then we bring up the rear of the pack together. . . wayne

Pretty good story. 77 Year old man, still riding, closing in on 1.5 million miles.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/search.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-01-06-0052.html

Guest Popeye

I'm coming up on 473,000 miles, over 40 years, and never laid one down.

I don't like to think about the two kinds of riders; those who have crashed and those who are going to.

Fortunately, I do NOT believe I am a wonderful rider since I've had my share of close calls & miracles.

I rarely ride in traffic, but that just puts me in deer country.

Certainly, I've had my share of 'dumb luck', which in my case has been good.....so far.

The original owner of my 86VR sold it at 81 years old. He said it was just too big for him anymore. The second owner gave me the same reason at 67 years old [he'd already bought a new 800cc Suzuki].