I am fighting a crackling on the right speaker. It only happens when I am driving down the road. I could get it to happen by wiggling wires and have now determined that it is inside the amplifier. I have had the amplifier apart and looked for loose solder points or cracked circuit boards, can't find anything. I am getting frustrated. I would like to keep the factory radio for now, however, I think I may be getting close to giving up and switching to an aftermarket stereo. My question to everyone is, are you still using the factory radio or have most people switched to an aftermarket stereo? If you have switched, how did you install the aftermarket stereo? :bang head:

I am fighting a crackling on the right speaker. It only happens when I am driving down the road. I could get it to happen by wiggling wires and have now determined that it is inside the amplifier. I have had the amplifier apart and looked for loose solder points or cracked circuit boards, can't find anything. I am getting frustrated. I would like to keep the factory radio for now, however, I think I may be getting close to giving up and switching to an aftermarket stereo. My question to everyone is, are you still using the factory radio or have most people switched to an aftermarket stereo? If you have switched, how did you install the aftermarket stereo? :bang head:

Tricky judgement call.

The electronics are elderly, as are the replacements. They may be accurate for the period, but they are increasingly unreliable for everyday use.

Personally, I would fit an aftermarket stereo with the option to plug in mp3 or satellite, etc. It will be more flexible, more reliable and reasonably priced.

Others will choose to keep the old stuff going as long as practical.

Tricky judgement call.

The electronics are elderly, as are the replacements. They may be accurate for the period, but they are increasingly unreliable for everyday use.

Personally, I would fit an aftermarket stereo with the option to plug in mp3 or satellite, etc. It will be more flexible, more reliable and reasonably priced.

Others will choose to keep the old stuff going as long as practical.

I'm all for installing something that is better but the stock radio does work well and where would you put the aftermarket radio and make it looked like it was part of the bike and not some gadget that was just hung on there?

As far as mp3 goes, thats an easy addition to the stock system.

I would like to keep the OEM but mine sucks!! I'm looking for something I could put in there without messing up the looks and still be able to work with the CB and intercom. I mostly just want good FM radio.

It's easier for me, I don't use CB and I replaced the intercom with a very nice Autocom, fitted in the trunk.

If you remove the original equipment there is plenty of room to fit a radio in the left panel. If it's fitted behind a black waterproof flip housing, it looks decent too.

You would lose the CB and intercom though.

I always thought it came down to a simple choice of keeping the OEM equipment going (nothing wrong with that), or removing it and building a system from scratch.

Iv'e been looking at replacing my radio with a Jensen Marine MSR2007 or JMS2212

It has a head unit that might fit were the stock controller is and a remote amp that should fit where the stock amp is.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/JENSEN-MSR2007-Waterproof-AM-FM-iPod-SIRIUS-Ready-/00/s/MjE4WDIzNw==/$%28KGrHqIOKjIE5Vby%2199dBOe8B%21lTKQ%7E%7E60_35.JPG

Iv'e been looking at replacing my radio with a Jensen Marine MSR2007 or JMS2212

It has a head unit that might fit were the stock controller is and a remote amp that should fit where the stock amp is.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/JENSEN-MSR2007-Waterproof-AM-FM-iPod-SIRIUS-Ready-/00/s/MjE4WDIzNw==/$%28KGrHqIOKjIE5Vby%2199dBOe8B%21lTKQ%7E%7E60_35.JPG

That would be my choice too.

Thanks for all the info and ideas. I would like to keep the stock radio and add an input for an mp3 player. I am going to keep tinkering with the amp and see if I can get her fiqured out. It was a beautiful ride to work today, even with only the left side speaker. I disconnected the right speaker and no crackling at all. Thanks again for the input from everyone.

I'm pretty sure that I have an amp that I can let you borrow to see if that is your problem.

This thread will point you in the right direction on you how to get an audio input jack in place of the cassette player.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63638

Sorry I have not gotten back to ya earlier, been a busy Friday. If your offer is still

good, I will take you up on your offer. How do you prefer to do this?

I have had my 83 for 8 years and never had a problem with it, it sounds great and works perfectly, a lot of times the crackling can be the loose connection between the pins in the radio unit and the amp where they meet, Try putting some dielectric grease on the connectors under the radio panel and see if that helps. In fact take all the connectors out and do the same thing.

Just send me your address in a private message and I will send you the parts. You can send them back when done or maybe we can make a deal on them.

Ray

Ray, I sent you a message with my address. Let me know if I messed up and you didn't

get it.

Thanks again

Kevin