IGNORED

Replaced Rear Shock Lessons Learned.

Replaced my rear shock today took about 90 mins (gotta love air tools) figured out a couple of things and thought I would share.

I did not remove the rear tire I did everything through the sides.

1. If you put a quarter inch shim between the Carbon One adapter and the frame it gives you plenty of clearance to pull out the leveling links bolt.

2. Needle nose vice grips are great for pulling out the top bolt and putting it back in.

3. A floor jack under the rear tire will give you control of the tension and makes it real easy to slide the bolts back in.

What did you use for a replacement shock?

I cheaped out, I found a shop in NH that had a used one from a trike conversion, supposedly only had 3000 miles on it and from the looks of It I can believe it. Cost me 125 bucks so I will see how long it last. I was hoping to see how the test went with the YSS shock, but I could not wait any longer.

Hey Joe.

Thanks for the info.

My MM's original never leaked, but after about 45k miles, it did do a lot of "barking" when I first got on it on a colder day. As I rode it a few miles, the barking ceased for the day. It was just an annoyance.

A few years ago, I swapped it out with one from 2006 with supposedly only 67 miles on it. I didn't remove the rear tire either, but your suggestions sound like they could have helped me a little in my swap out.

Man, that newer shock was nice.

Now, it's starting to bark a little again.

I've read where folks add a small amount of trans fluid through the hole after removing the valve core to the shock. Maybe I'll try that next.

Rusty

I'll tell you what Joe, i don't believe ya so I'll bring mine down and see if you can duplicate it. LOL let me know how it rides.

Come on down and we can change it out. The big reason I changed mine was that it had been dripping oil for the last six months and I started noticing a dive in curves real bad, with the new shock no more diving and I can actually tell a difference when I change air pressure.