IGNORED

Side Stand woes

kantornado

I had a nice 160 mile ride in the desert today. Stopped and had lunch then off again for a great ride.

I had to stop at a rest area (you guys over 50 know what I mean) Well I’m Pretty much 50 miles from anywhere and go to put my kick stand down and the lowering loop broke off, weld snapped.

Kind of tuff getting this old large man off the bike without a side stand and under stress needing to GO as bad as I had to. But I did it keeping the 900 pound beast steadied and bending down to put the stand out by hand. I thanked FREEBIRD for the center stand because it was nice to have a backup, Stopped and got gas and again it was a site to see with no one to help hold her steady, and then home in the garage. By this time I was getting to be pretty good at it.

Thanking freebird again for that center stand because it is nice to have it there. For making this site and all the knowledgeable people here. So check your welds guys/gals .Now I have to see who will weld this one or find one……………Ron

I had a nice 160 mile ride in the desert today. Stopped and had lunch then off again for a great ride.

I had to stop at a rest area (you guys over 50 know what I mean) Well I’m Pretty much 50 miles from anywhere and go to put my kick stand down and the lowering loop broke off, weld snapped.

Kind of tuff getting this old large man off the bike without a side stand and under stress needing to GO as bad as I had to. But I did it keeping the 900 pound beast steadied and bending down to put the stand out by hand. I thanked FREEBIRD for the center stand because it was nice to have a backup, Stopped and got gas and again it was a site to see with no one to help hold her steady, and then home in the garage. By this time I was getting to be pretty good at it.

Thanking freebird again for that center stand because it is nice to have it there. For making this site and all the knowledgeable people here. So check your welds guys/gals .Now I have to see who will weld this one or find one……………Ron

Should be a simple weld. Make sure to wrap the rest of the stand in cold wet rags to try to keep it as cool as possible. The chrome will come off it if it gets to hot. With the center stand down you should be able to remove the side stand completely and get it welded, no big job there.

I believe you will have to have the side stand down before the center stand to be able to remove it, or more simply remove it, not sure about that though. I had to grind a small amount of the toe of my side stand off in order to get it to go back up properly after installing the center stand. Ponch made my center stand and brought it to me from Texas and installed it for me at Freebird's MD a couple year ago. All I did was hand him a tool. I miss Ponch, a very good man.

Fuzzy :thumbsup2:

I thought the same thing Fuzzy. Figured this would be a piece of cake. Not so Grasshopper, Transmission rods in the way so bolt will not come out. Now I am having trouble removing the rod. Figured to take a break and post my finding. This seemed to be such a simple job at first.

I am having one heck of a time trying to get the kickstand off. So now I am thinking of other ways to get the bolt out.............Ron

Ron, I have not heard of side stand problems on 2nd gens, but on 1st gens, if we don't keep the side stand bolt tight to the point that it has very little play, it will break the bolt. It can also bend the plates that make the slot that the side stand fits into.

This is a good reminder to check you side stand and make sure it is not loose.

RandyA

Here I am, a day late and a dollar short.... again.

Was going to say that you could just come back up to the Pork in the Pines this year and we would use your bike as the project for this year and Bubber could practice welding on your side stand. :rotfl: :rotfl:

I want to publicly THANK Jerry W, for the help. With his advice I pulled it right off.

Only took 15 minutes, it sure helps to get the knowledge from great people.

Thank you again..................Ron

Glad you got it off. Hope you get it welded and back on soon. Fill us in on how it turned out with a pic or two.

I am now wondering about that rod. I will have to go take a look at mine.

Fuzzy :think: