IGNORED

Your Progressive Spring ABS Spacer Length/Fork Oil & Ride

GolfVenture

For those who have installed Progressive Springs in their MKII, I have a few questions.

I need to readjust my spacer length and so I'd like to come as close as I can to the perfect desired ride. I love what the progressive does to the handeling of my MKII, but mine is way too stiff.

I would like to use a spacer size that would be the most appropiate for my 170 lbs(birthday suit).

I rarely ride double and my storage trunks are pretty much empty.

I would allow 10 to 15 lbs of stuff all together in my storage trunks.

No Gas Tank Bag.

I'm usually a one day rider so I travel pretty light.

What length spacer do you use?

What wt fork oil

What length of non oil space did you leave after compressing your forks.

Whats your weight?

Hows soft and smooth is your ride?

Would you like to use a different length spacer, or oil wt and why?

None for me worked perfect. The springs came to the top of the tubes and had slight preload with the caps screwed in. It did raise the bike a little and I did not want it any higher. If I were you, I would raise the front end, take the caps off and remove the spacer and put the caps back in. This could be done in a few minutes. To me it would be easier to start on the no preload end and add if I needed to.

I also assume that you are not using any air pressure.

RandyA

I am 250 lbs and carry moderate weight in the bags and trunk all the time. I have filled my forks with 10awg fork oil at 6" from the top with the leg collapsed. I have enough spacer to require about an 1/8th inch compression to start the top caps.

Simply sitting on the Beast will sag the forks an inch. A hand-full of front brake and bouncing the front will sag 2.5" (plastic tie-wrap around the fork leg used to make these measurements).

The ride is perfect; the front soaks up the bumps and have never bottomed. I will add about 6 psi of air when carrying a passenger and/or getting frisky in the curves.

I think your weight would use the same set-up and almost no compression when putting on the top caps (less spring pre-load).

:detective:

Ok, the first round was a rebuild on the forks with new bushings and seals and added the Progressives. Had the oil at 5.5" from the top and used 10wt. Had the spacers at 3/4". The springs felt quite harsh at first but coming from the OEM's what did I know. It was an improvement. After about a year they seemed to soften up a bit. Only added air while pushing through the curves. Then I had the seals start leaking so it was time for another seal job. Because of the leak I could not be sure how that effected the fork feel.

Then after the next seal job I dropped the oil level to 6" at 10wt. I did add a couple washers to the tops of the spacers. The ride was better, softer. Those seals failed for unknown reasons and I only replaced the seals and and kept the setup the same. Still no air pressure used.

Now I'm doing the '87 forks for the brake upgrade and I plan to go to 15wt oil at 6.5".

I'm 280 lbs so I think the heavier oil will help. I've been wrestling with the idea of the Race Tech Gold Emulators for the '87 forks but haven't decided yet. Still on the bench.

The Progressives, when new they did change the stance of the bike alot. Front end really came up a lot. Handled better and no more bottoming out. I never ran into the problem of the forks not moving at all as had been mentioned. The ride has been much smoother and knocked the jar out of the rough roads for sure. I ride solo most all the time with little gear unless I take off out of town.