IGNORED

Any private pilots out there?

Sideoftheroad

I realize this is a huge thing to ask of anyone but I am going to make this to the point. I am in Indiana and my oldest brother is in Eugene Oregon. He is in ICU right now and have heard various things in regards to his condition including doctors aren't sure if he is going to make it. My parents have asked me to stay put as my parents, my brothers 2 daughters and their families have already gone out there and mom says too many people wouldn't be good for him. But if I get a call that says the entire family should be there I want to get there ASAP. If I can help it I don't want to deal with 30 layovers to get to him that commercial airlines from what i remember seem to make everyone do on long flights.

Thanks.

Jerry

If you are in IN you can fly with just one stop out of Indanapolis to Eugene. You can leave by 9:00 AM and arrive by 1:00 PM or so. Unless you are flying direct by private jet I doubt you can get there any quicker.

I wish you and your brother well.

Dennis

I would just pick and go but I have too much respect for my parents. I asked my mom and she said stay put so that is what I am doing. I just got off the phone with my brother and he is doing the same.

Dennis,

Where are you seeing that info.? I might need it for future flights.

No updates from the family yet.

I do have a private pilots license. BUT

You may also want to talk to a travel agent, explain the situation and they can keep an eye open for a short notice flight.

Start making calls to airlines that fly to where you need to be. Some of them will sometimes do special things for family emergencies, (or at least they used to).

Some one with something like a Cessna 172 is looking at a minimum of 2 days to fly from Indiana to Oregon. It is 2000 mile in a dead straight line which will not happen thru the mountains. Cruising speed is about 120 mph air speed. So at best you will get 100 mph ground speed. Thats 20+ hours in the air not including detours for weather gas and mountains, add in a fuel stop every 4 hours, and you can see where it will easily take 2 days to get there.

Flying myself there would not be the fast or inexpensive way to get there.

Edited by Flyinfool

With everyone here in the Indiana/Ohio area I think there was some confusion as to what all was going on yesterday. He was in bad shape yesterday and certainly not out of the woods. Things that I was hearing last night was he went to bed. Woke up 30 minutes later and told his wife to call the ambulance because he was going to have a stroke (not sure if that is actually what happened or not or if that was just part of what happened). He was talking and coherent the next morning in the hospital so his wife went home to rest up. Sometime after that things went downhill. Guess they tried to wake him up but couldn't. Not entirely sure on this part but sounded like either his kidney and/or liver were shutting down. There was also something about having an infection and the doctors couldn't do any surgery until that went down to find out what is going on. Also heard about bleeding in the GI tract (didn't hear if it was upper or lower). Then later in the day started to hear that he was on dialysis, on a ventilator and his platelet count was down in the 30's. .

Just got an update that his platelet count is up (don't know by how much), the yellowing in his eyes is almost gone (1st time I heard about this) and dialysis doctor said he looks better.

Certainly good news that he's improving.

Dennis,

Where are you seeing that info.? I might need it for future flights.

No updates from the family yet.

I just did a quick search on Travelocity for flights between Indianapolis and Eugene and looked for flights with only two legs.

Dennis

I"m not a pilot, but have friends that are....and the previous comments are very true.

It would take way to long for a private plane...unless you know someone with a lear jet or something like that.

The slower speed, mixed with fuel stops would make for a long flight.

If you get the call I'm sure you will want to get there ASAP!

I truely hope you don't get such a call!