IGNORED

Amazon Prime

Dave77459

I am a member of Amazon.com Prime. This means I get free 2-day shipping and anything overnight for $3.99.

My brother was hospitalized, I realized I might need to ride there, and my front tire was in iffy shape.

I bought an Avon Venom 150/80-16 71H (front) for a good price ($145.80, near the cheapest I found) and selected overnight shipping for $3.99. It is out for delivery now. That $149.79 total is way cheap when you consider overnight shipping of a 16 pound tire. Heck, it's cheaper than Dennis Kirk by $10 and Jake Wilson doesn't carry the tire.

Another option to consider if you have Amazon Prime and need something quick.

I'll let you know if the tire comes out of date, as cheap tires have been known to do.

Dave

It is $79/yr. However if you do alot of ordering though Amazon, it can pay for itself quickly. Mike and I ordered alot of computer related stuff in a short span of time last year. We upgraded to the Prime trial to get all our shipping upgraded to the fastest free way so our stuff wouldn't be lost somewhere in BFE. (We lost a printer we ordered to the local UPS distribution center) If you order often it's a good value. Prime also allows you access to Amazon's version of Netflix.

Guest tx2sturgis

I noticed that Amazon Prime Video supports linux users. :happy34:...which is NOT the case with Netflix.

Hmmmm....

I noticed that Amazon Prime Video supports linux users. :happy34:...which is NOT the case with Netflix.

Hmmmm....

I am a Linux user and do not have a problem running Netflix on it... At least the few flavors that I have tried it (Scientific Linux, MINT, OpenSuse...) But maybe I am special... :witch_brew:

But it is $79.00 per year to have prime is'nt it?

That is true. I saved more than that during Christmas season, and my entire family can use it. If you are pregnant or have new babies, I think you can get a free account.

Dennis Kirk is estimating overnight shipping at $161.51 (UPS) or $157.44 (FedEx). Saving $154 on one purchase makes $79 a year seem almost cheap.

Dave

Guest tx2sturgis
I am a Linux user and do not have a problem running Netflix on it... At least the few flavors that I have tried it (Scientific Linux, MINT, OpenSuse...) But maybe I am special... :witch_brew:

Ok, that is news to me then, here is a link:

http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/2011/05/10/netflix-finally-coming-to-linux-and-chrome-os/

I had only tried Netflix using Firefox in Linux Mint and Ubuntu and I received a nasty message saying that Netflix does not support Linux. This was sometime last summer I think, and hadnt kept up with it.

Thanks for the heads-up/pot-stir !

(And I'm not sure about the 'special' part...):whistling:

I am interested to find out what the date code ends up looking like on your tire. 'Amazon does have a few different provisions for various situations (families, preggo mothers, students etc) I am enjoying a 6 month free trial of the amazon prime for 'students' (since I have a .edu e-mail address) All of the benefits (except the instant streaming) of amazon prime for free (until my free trial runs out, then it is just 1/2 of the normal price) and even if I did have to pay full price, it is hard to argue with the $6.70/month for the whole shebang!

Hope all works out well with your brother :-\

-------------------------

Hmmm

I'm still getting a nasty warning on the screen that it wont play on this linux box.

:think:

And I found this link:

http://how-to.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_watch_Netflix_%28Watch_Instantly%29_in_Linux

So maybe you really ARE special!

:moon:

I am special... at least that is what my parents told me growing up... :sign isnt that spec:

Mint 10 won't play netflix, so downloading Mint 12 to see if that changed things.

Instead of going through all of those shenanigans you might want to try simply downloading and installing a 'winders' based browser via the 'Wine' package in Mint. Wine emulates the winders environment and installing one the winders version of the browsers you ought to be able to utilize the 'appropriate' plug-ins.

I don't know why mine works just fine (I primarily use Scientific Linux) and ya'll seem to not but I have had to force and rewrite some of the packages that I use anyways so I may have tweaked something enough to allow the proper plugins for the DRM to work :confused24:

Oh yeah, by the way :hijacked: Sorry about that Dave! :duck:

Instead of going through all of those shenanigans you might want to try simply downloading and installing a 'winders' based browser via the 'Wine' package in Mint. Wine emulates the winders environment and installing one the winders version of the browsers you ought to be able to utilize the 'appropriate' plug-ins.

I don't know why mine works just fine (I primarily use Scientific Linux) and ya'll seem to not but I have had to force and rewrite some of the packages that I use anyways so I may have tweaked something enough to allow the proper plugins for the DRM to work :confused24:

Netflix uses silverlight which MS dropped support for within the last 2 yrs. There are ways around it and tinkering in my virtualbox is fun.....

Guest tx2sturgis

-------------------------

Oh yeah, by the way :hijacked: Sorry about that Dave! :duck:

Oh well virtualization and emulation dont count, really, I was talking about natively. Heck, I can run anything I want on the Mac, but I wasnt counting that.

I bought a zotac barebones zbox and installed Linux Mint 12 on it and its a nice machine now. I'm surfing and posting on the Linux/Zotac as we speak.

But Netflix wont run on it. Amazon Prime runs fine, along with hulu and most other flash-based sites, including NBC, YouTube, and others.

Netflix uses a (^#~@$**@&) Microsoft plug-in called Silverlight, and they make versions for Windows (of course) and Mac and the Chromium OS.

But not for Linux. Linux DOES have a compatible plugin called Moonlight, But Netflix says nope, nada. You cant get there from here.

I think its possible that netflix has some fear of the open-source world, and wants to make sure that streams dont get captured and saved, then pirated, as if someone could not figure out a way to do that on the other players.

BTW...I didnt mean to hijack this thread, so if Dave wants, we can talk about tires again. :whistling: