IGNORED

Tank Bag Options

sadicarnot

I would like to get a tank bag for my RSTD. Does any one have any experience with the Yamaha tank bag part#STR-4WM64-21-00. I don't need a big one, just a place to put a camera and some cash for easy access. The local stealer has a pretty nice Joe Rocket tank bag that is small and can be placed to not interfere with the gas cap etc.

http://www.joerocket.com/catalog/index.cfm/251/381/Luggage/Manta_Tank_Bag

My needs would be satisfied with a windshield bag, but because of the '57 chevy speedo, there are not a lot of options in that route. Not really looking for a tank bib either.

I was going to buy a Yamaha Tour Deluxe tank bag for a trip I was taking. The dealer told me at the last minute that it wouldn't be in before I left. To make a long story short he had a bag for a Raider on the wall display and I tried it on my 2007 RSTD. It fit great and was more streamlined than the other. It is expandable. Try it you won't be sorry.

Reno

I have a RSV I got in Jan. I havent tried my cortech tank bag yet but I used it alot on my Kawasaki and it had the speedo on the tank. But its a huge bag. Actually 2 parts, I can fit alot of gear in it. I shopped around for probable 6 months on e-bay and my local craigs list. I finnaly got it off cragis list for about $40-50 I forget now. http://www.tourmaster.com/images/products/h_sku233.jpg

Check out some of the bags here. http://www.leatherup.com/c/Tank-Bags/sortby_price/2/107.html A buddy of mine got a nice smaller generic type from http://www.cyclegear.com/ It had magnets and like a safety strap to run under the tank. Thats one thing with these you have to be careful of is to make sure the tank is clean when you put them on, otherwise they could scratch the paint. I have figured out where its going to sit and then put clear packing tape on the tank to protect it before also.

I had a $40 tank bag come off at 55 mph...

Needless to say If there had been a camera in it, it woud have been smashed.

I will never put it on the tank, ever again..

Luckily it also has belt slots, thats alot more secure... and you'll never again forget and have to run back to your bike to retrieve your wallet/camera/ipod...:whistling:

If we're sharing horror stories, I had a tank bag stolen off my RSTD. Shame on me for thinking I could use the loo at a gas station without locking it up.

A month ago I bought a Cortech (pretty sure) from a local Cyclegear store. It looks like the Tri-bag, but isn't as tall. I think it might be discontinued. I put my phone in the clear plastic top, and ran a USB cord to a battery pack in the main compartment.

Worked well, but I rode in the rain and I think some grime got underneath. Now I have a spot to buff out on my tank. :(

I didn't have any problem seeing the "57 Chevy" speed-o. I have the battery monitor below it on the trees (next to the Yamaha badge) and could even see that if I wasn't totally slumped. I did pull it back so it didn't completely cover the gas cap, and that helped the visibility. Truth is, though, that I don't usually use the speedometer; rather, I use the GPS to tell me my speed.

I am planning to electrify the bag, running a cord from my Powerlet outlet to it. From there I can power the phone, my heated gear, iPod, etc. Maybe I'll put my GPS in the clear compartment.

Dave

Man I thought I might be the only one that had that bad habit of using the GPS for a spedo. I have used the big part of my bag in the Kawaskai when I had it and it did make seeing the speedo a trick. On the RSV I have not used the bag yet. But with cruise control I should think pick a speed, set cruise and ride. Plus my speedo now is up in the fairing and easy to see, as long as I dont get the MPH and KPH confused.

I do think the "big" cortech bags are discontinued. Mine is the 21 liter I think and they dont show a listing for it any more. They have some new bags out. But watch craigs list man I'm telling you there are some good deals if you have the time to watch and wait on them. The magents on my cortech bag are so strong I think they would peel metalic paint. Some of the less expensive bags aint so good.

I have and use that Joe Rocket bag (even the same color) on my RSV. It is small, holds what I want/need and I simply pull it off and into the motel it goes.

One thing, I did remove the rubber bib/strip from my tank. The bag fits much better and I think the Venture looks better without it.

You may of course want or need a larger bag, so this is just my two cents worth :)