IGNORED

changing fork oil....

anyone here change the fork oil using the method by freebird?? how much of a pain was it and what kind of oil did you use ?? getting ready for spring maint. and been thinking this would be a good one to do. like i need more fluids to flush and fill...lol

I need to point out that I have never used that method. It was passed on from another member and I just added it to the tech library. The only time I have changed mine was when we installed my new Sonic springs last maintenance day. At that time, we completely removed the front forks and dumped the oil.

I need to point out that I have never used that method. It was passed on from another member and I just added it to the tech library. The only time I have changed mine was when we installed my new Sonic springs last maintenance day. At that time, we completely removed the front forks and dumped the oil.

While we are on the subject of fork oil ... The manual gives a precise amount of oil to add, but how much is needed when Progressive springs are fitted ('86 to '93)?

I didn't use the volume measurements when I installed the Sonic Springs. Rick Butler has done several of these and I used his instructions.

On the oil level, set it 5" from the top of the forks with the forks completely collapsed. The best way to do this is with the forks completely out and sitting on the floor. Rich provides instructions with the springs, so go ahead and read them. But do it in a couple of stages and pump the forks to get oil circulated (pour, pump, pour, pump). Use a turkey baster and measure 5" from the tip and place a wrap of painters tape. Fill it just over 5" from the top and then use the baster to suck the oil out until it sucks air (which means you are at the right level). Then slip the springs into the fork, place 2 washers on top of the spring, extend them fully, drop the grey pvc on top of the spring and make a mark at the top of the fork tube. Take the pvc out and remove 1 washer. Now cut the pvc say 1/4" under that mark. I use a PVC cutter and once it's cut and you are satisfied that that end is flat, sit it on a flat surface and mark the other piece (on the plus side) and cut the other spacer. Now with a washer on top of the spring and on top of the spacer, put it back together. I always do this with the fork on the floor sitting on a low stool so I can compress the spring with the cap and get the threads started. You don't need to tighten the cap until you get it back in with the bottom triple tree with the clamp tightened. Oh, loosen the cap while the forks are still in the triple tree with the top triple tree bolts loose.

This is the instructions that come with the Progressives. It explains the oil levels.

I started mine at 5.5 from the top with 5wt oil and ended up going to 6 from the top with 10 wt. Seems to feel good at that level.

Just make sure both sides are equal and be sure to pump the forks while draining and again while filling them back up.