IGNORED

Case Reassembly - Yamabond

I'm getting ready to reassemble the cases on my 1st gen and have a question about using the Yamabond #4, Would I spread a thin layer of the sealant on just one of the case halves? I can see about 95% of this stuff squeezing out on the machined surfaces when the bolts are torqued. I noted that the service manual states to keep sealant at least 2mm away from bearings. Any suggestions here?

I'm getting ready to reassemble the cases on my 1st gen and have a question about using the Yamabond #4, Would I spread a thin layer of the sealant on just one of the case halves? I can see about 95% of this stuff squeezing out on the machined surfaces when the bolts are torqued. I noted that the service manual states to keep sealant at least 2mm away from bearings. Any suggestions here?

I just put it on one side. Make sure the surface is real clean like you wiped it with an alcohol pad. It may help to do a test fit a couple of times as it can be a little tricky getting the forks to line up. Also, I just put it on the surfaces that are exposed to the outside.

RandyA

I've probably rebuilt 20 bike engines and 3 or 4 VW aircooled engines using Yamabond or the Threebond equivalent. I just put it on one side. A lot squeezes out which is why they say keep it a little bit away from the bearings.

Make sure that the mating surfaces are smooth, clean and dry. Once I get the old sealant scraped off as best I can with the gasket scraper, I use a Scotchbrite pad to clean up the surface and then brake cleaner to degrease.

If you get it clean, you won't have a leak.