IGNORED

I'm kinda bored today.....

GAWildKat

So I thought I'd continue my search into automatic bikes... I've looked at the can-am spyders, ridleys, and the suzuki gs450ga from the 80's I can't really find alot of info on the automatics. Wanting something that is comfy on trips, could be triked and good for around town. It will be sometime before we could invest in it but hey if we know better what to hunt for makes it easier.

Item number:130640717698check this out on ebay. i bought my daughter one od these when she wanted to be a biker chick and ride with her dad side by side instead of on my bike. then she sold it 5 years latter when she wanted and got a mustang. it was a good bike and she kept up with me on my honda 750 chopper. of course dad did slow down for her LOL

Guest tx2sturgis

If you want something affordable and fully usable as a starter trike, twist and go, (no shifting) they dont get much more affordable than these:

http://www.scooterdepot.us/trike-3-wheels-p-1-c-344.html

I bought a little 150cc scooter last april and it runs great, no shifting, gets 65 mpg, and is cheap and easy to maintain. No dealer network tho, so keep this in mind. You or hubby will have to do the assembly (uncrate, install mirrors, battery, and oil, check everything) and do pretty much all the maintenance. But I can tell you from experience, the maintenance on these is very easy, since they are designed to be worked on by the owner.

If you want a trike to cruise around town and take the occasional trip to the next town, a 300cc trike can do it. Not particularly fast, but fun and easy. Certainly a lot of bang for the buck.

The 150cc (and smaller) trikes are mainly for around town and wont be able to attain (or maintain) highway speeds.

Edited by tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis

That one is listed as a manual, and appears to have a foot shiftlever and hand clutch lever on the left side.

The scooter-based units will be twist and go, its a type of CVT unit that drives very similar to an automatic.

Guest tx2sturgis

The MP3 scooters by Piaggio are well engineered articulating scooters, but they knock a large chunk out of a $10,000 bill.

They arent really trikes, but that is a definition I wont argue over, if someone disagrees, thats fine.

Again, no real dealer network exists in fly-over country.

Guest tx2sturgis
I don't disagree on the mp3 not being a trike, but it's a very good, durable scooter. My FIL decided even before we said I was getting my own, that I should get it because the MP3 is a very stable scooter for someone like me with balance issues.

I assume you know that the MP3 is an articulating scooter, meaning it does not stand un-aided like a trike. (not counting park mode) It leans in the curves, just like a two wheel bike.

You can fall over riding one of these. And they are not really much better at managing slick surfaces than a 2 wheel scooter.

If you have 'balance issues' you probably need the stability of a true trike, where the rider is not in direct control of the lean angles.

By the way...what is a 'FIL'?