IGNORED

Troubleshooting Cruise- 2nd gen RSV

I've been troubleshooting a Cruise control on an '06 Venture that I purchased used last October. The cruise has not worked at all for me. I followed the self diagnostic procedure in the service manual. Did the set anf res buttons 6 times, the lights blink correctly, but then only the res light stays on. Checked the brake switches, they're ok. Did the throttle test, but did not hear the vacuum pump come on. Hot wired the vacuum pump and it runs and draws vacuum. Did the cruise relay test and it passed. I'm left with checking the speed sensor (assume if the speedometer works, then the sensor works; may be a mistake), or replacing the cruise module. Has anyone had a similar experience, or got any advice? How much would a replacement cruise module cost? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Frustrated in Ohio:confused07:

I have not looked that close at wiring diagram. You say you have checked the speed sensor. But I was reading in my owners manual the other night (I'm trying to brush up so I dont ask any really silly question or atleast limit them) the bike has to be in 4th or 5th gear to "resume" I would think also to set the cruise. Have you checked this switch/sensor? Maybe its not sensing it is in a gear allowable. Just sort of brain storming man, I'm totaly new to these bikes.

The cruise on my 08 quit working last week even though the cruise light would come on. On pressing the set button the set light would not light up and the cruise would not engage. I took the fairing off covering the fuse box for the cruise and pulled and cleaned each fuse there. none were out. I then put pressure on each wire connection box just to make sure they were making contact. re-attached the fairing and went for a ride. Cruise worked fine and has been no problem since. May not be your problem but just a suggestion.

Once again it sounds like a job for the dielectric grease. Man theres 2 things I wish now I would have paid better attention in different mechanical schools I went to. Electrical stuff and Carbs. I thought I beat the Carb deal when everything went to FI. But the electric stuff kicks my butt more now. :confused24: And now I got carbs again ugh