IGNORED

Trailer Ball

Condor

I just ran across this listing for a TRAILER BALL #160706290092 on Ebay. Instead of installing a swivel hitch on the trailer tongue, this one's a tilting ball and good, for not one, but any trailer you wish to pull. I used one on the '99RSV to tow the trailer to Cody and back in July. It performed great, and would have forgoten the trailer was there except it kept showing up in the rear view.... :) It's also about half to a third the cost of a swivel coupler.... which is a good thing. I know a lot of guys will say they don't need no swivel, and that's well and good, but what's it going to hurt to have one just in case you drop the bike?? There's about a day left on the auction and the seller has 5 of them left.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Motorcycle-Trailer-Swivel-Hitch-Ball-GL1800-Goldwing-/00/$(KGrHqEOKkEE25TvNvQkBN5RzrwjcQ~~_12.JPG

I have a coupling that swivels. Wish they made it so that it only swivels when a excessive amount of pressure goes in one direction. Like when a bike is dropped rather than constantly swiveling back and forth.

It doesn't flop back and forth. Stays in one position while towing until the attitude of the bike changes. However if it bothers you try installing some rubber washers to act as dampners???

This is what happened to me when not using a swivel. This swivel ball is interesting. I still pull this trailer with my 04 RSV. I was not around when the trailer was removed, but my friends said it was very hard as the trailer was loaded with camping gear.

Ouch!! How in the 'H' did that happen. Hope it was a walk away... Looks like mud and grass on the landing site... Also looks like one of the wheels on the trailer is off the ground. No wonder it was tuff to pry off the ball...

Ouch!! How in the 'H' did that happen. Hope it was a walk away... Looks like mud and grass on the landing site... Also looks like one of the wheels on the trailer is off the ground. No wonder it was tuff to pry off the ball

We were turning on that side road with 3 bikes and a truck w/trailer following (the one in the picture). I slowed down to wait for oncoming traffic, I checked my mirrors as the oncoming cars approached and then I went to make my turn. I did not notice the truck following us had lost her brakes and was unable to stop. After the oncoming traffic passed she darted in the oncoming lane and hit me in my left saddlebag as I was turning. If she didn't do this, she would have ran into the back of all of us. Her quick thinking may have saved a life or two. My wife and I were thrown from the bike and slid through the intersection and came to a stop about where the front tire of the police car is. My wife was 30 weeks pregnant and this was her last ride until after our son was born. By the grace of God we all survived and we just celebrated our Sons first birthday. I was at the hospital when this picture was taken. I kick myself for not checking the mirror again after the oncoming car passed.

Yes the trailer was bound so tight that the tire is in the air. I had it loaded pretty good, but that old GL1500 didn't mind pulling a heavy trailer.

• 3 months later...

Just wondering if your ball stays upright in your coupler, I have pulled my trailer twice and the ball has a tendency to lean to one side. I have tightened the coupler to the point where the ball wouldn't move and backed it off until it turns with a little resistance.

Just wondering if your ball stays upright in your coupler, I have pulled my trailer twice and the ball has a tendency to lean to one side. I have tightened the coupler to the point where the ball wouldn't move and backed it off until it turns with a little resistance.

It lays over a bit but it doesn't effect the towing, and I don't feel a thing when running the twisties.... I think you'd have the same situation with a coupler not staying horizontal after running thru a few curves even though the ball is upright.

Guest tx2sturgis
the truck following us had lost her brakes and was unable to stop. After the oncoming traffic passed she darted in the oncoming lane and hit me in my left saddlebag as I was turning. If she didn't do this, she would have ran into the back of all of us. Her quick thinking may have saved a life or two.

Lost her brakes?

Did she misplace them along with her brain?

Geeze.

I bet she told that story to the cops but I'm not buyin it...unless an investigation found that both sets of independent brake lines and all 4 brakes had simply failed thru no fault of hers....which is exceedingly rare.

Had she been paying attention to her vehicle, and her speed, she should have been able to reduce her speed way before the event, and either slow by downshifting and engine braking, or diverting her own vehicle onto the right side barditch/shoulder.

Instead, from your story, it appears that she was in a helluva hurry to get around the stopped traffic. She probably was on the cellphone. Like I said, I'm not buyin her story.

In any event, I'm glad that you are ok now, and you can be there for your wife and son.

:happy34:

ok thanx, I have only used it twice and was riding in town, once to move a full cooler. I noticed the lean but doesn't seem to effect it and the ball is very secure. Trying to get a feel for it, don't notice it's back there but I'm paying attention. . .

ok thanx, I have only used it twice and was riding in town, once to move a full cooler. I noticed the lean but doesn't seem to effect it and the ball is very secure. Trying to get a feel for it, don't notice it's back there but I'm paying attention. . .

It's very easy to forget it's there on a long piece of slab.... Try not to... :)