IGNORED

Ignition issues 83 Venture

My Venture won't start. I have spark on 1 and 3. Nothing on 2 or 4. I've swapped the coils around and the problem moved to 1 and 3 when I swapped the wiring from the TCI, so I know the coils are good. According to page 7-17 of the service manual, I'm supposed to have 110 ohms between the Orange and all the other wires coming off the pickups. I have 105 ohms between the Orange and red/white but 200+ ohms between the Orange and all the rest. Am I looking at a pickup issue or a TCI issue?

Thanks, Jeff

The manual is wrong.

The pickup coil common is black.

The six pin connector you are checking at has one unused pin. Black wire is one with blank spot above it.

Gary

P.S.

Attached a picture of connector, this is reason I specified wire position as these can sometimes look the same after almost 3 decades. Common is lower left in picture.

Edited by dingy

My Venture won't start. I have spark on 1 and 3. Nothing on 2 or 4. I've swapped the coils around and the problem moved to 1 and 3 when I swapped the wiring from the TCI, so I know the coils are good. According to page 7-17 of the service manual, I'm supposed to have 110 ohms between the Orange and all the other wires coming off the pickups. I have 105 ohms between the Orange and red/white but 200+ ohms between the Orange and all the rest. Am I looking at a pickup issue or a TCI issue?

Thanks, Jeff

I agree with dingy that you checked incorrectly, you numbers would seem to indicate that the w/r coil is shorted (105 ohm orange + 0 ohm w/r=105) and the rest of the coils would be about correct (105 ohm orange+105 ohm w/g(or grey)=210 ohm). Orange to black should have been 105 ohm.

For these low level ohm specific readings make sure you either zero meter, or short the meter leads and subtract any reading (lead resistance) from test readings. Best using digital meter.

I use an old Triplett analog that I got from my grandfather. It's pretty accurate and besides, I can't test CDI magneto boxes on the Kawi H models with a digital meter...they don't respond quick enough to see if the SCR is firing. Digital meters are the anti-christ and my Philco M8100 takes too long for the tube to heat up...LOL

Now that I know that the service manual is wrong, I'll recheck the pickup coils tomorrow using the black wire as the common. It did seem kind of weird to me that the orange wire would be the common, but I know very little about Yamaha 4 strokes and less about their wiring, so I took the manual to it's word. Looking at the wiring diagram now, my readings make sense...not correct to what they should be, but they make sense based on what is connected to what and how I measured them (based on the manual's instructions). Are there any other blatant screw ups in the manual that will have me pulling my hair out by setting something wrong...ie valve clearance at .02 instead of .002?

If one of my pickups is bad, where can I get another?

Thanks,

Jeff

Although one pickup may be bad, I seriously doubt it but rather suspect a bad connection at the connector for the pickup in the harness. You may want to check the continuity of the pickups at it's destination rather than the connector. Also, TCI's are known to fail. The '83 will only work with a TCI from an '83.

If you find it is your pickup I think I have a spare set for you. Just PM me...