IGNORED

Need help on Gen 1 Automatic Leveling System

The CLASS system on my bike is acting up. I noticed it this summer but decided to wait until the winter months to tear in to it. The time has come.

I thought that it just wasn't holding air due to a broken line but tonight I found that I don't have a broken air line.

Here is what is happening

When I turn the key to accessory, the discharge valve opens and all of the air is let out of the system.

Leaving the system in the AUTO mode, I can pump up the front. When the desired pressure is reached, I get a small puff of air out of the discharge valve and everything is fine. According to the service manual this is normal.

When I pump up the rear, the desired pressure is reached and then the discharge valve opens and lets all of the air out. I can immediately pump it back up but as soon as it hits the correct pressure, the discharge valve opens and all of the air escapes.

Tonight I learned that the manual mode works fine. I can add or release air as needed.

I also noticed tonight that I was getting a random E4 code that could be cleared by cycling the power. I never got this code during the summer.

Even though the correct pressure is registering on the display, does this sound like a defective pressure sensing unit?

The CLASS system on my bike is acting up. I noticed it this summer but decided to wait until the winter months to tear in to it. The time has come.

I thought that it just wasn't holding air due to a broken line but tonight I found that I don't have a broken air line.

Here is what is happening

When I turn the key to accessory, the discharge valve opens and all of the air is let out of the system.

Leaving the system in the AUTO mode, I can pump up the front. When the desired pressure is reached, I get a small puff of air out of the discharge valve and everything is fine. According to the service manual this is normal.

When I pump up the rear, the desired pressure is reached and then the discharge valve opens and lets all of the air out. I can immediately pump it back up but as soon as it hits the correct pressure, the discharge valve opens and all of the air escapes.

Tonight I learned that the manual mode works fine. I can add or release air as needed.

I also noticed tonight that I was getting a random E4 code that could be cleared by cycling the power. I never got this code during the summer.

Even though the correct pressure is registering on the display, does this sound like a defective pressure sensing unit?

Probably first thing to do is pull CLASS controller and resolder joints.

http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=493

If it works in manual & not in auto, I would think pump end is functioning OK.

Gary

That took care of the problem!

There were some obvious crack rings on the connector pins. I cleaned up most of the pins on the board.

The first thing I noticed is that it now takes at least 2-3 times longer to pump up the rear shock. That really surprised me.

Now it fills up and stays there.

Thanks again for the help!!

Ray

FYI---this is not an "automatic leveling system" on these. Only Suzuki had such a system on the Cavalcade. Which to this day...is/was the most comfortable tourer ever made. Heck, they had adjustable air seats and built in highway boards for the driver. Yes, the solder joints go bad. Mine did.

Edited by jasonm.