IGNORED

Auto Spark Plug & Wire ?

GolfVenture

I have a 94 Saturn SC2 with 175K miles. I'm the second owner since 50K miles. The Saturn has been receiving routine maintenance. In the last week I would feel an occasional electricial miss. Well I got new plugs and wire. It does not have a distributor cap nor a rotor. As I was installing the new plugs and wire this is what I uncovered. I replaced the plug about 30K miles ago but the wires I do not believe ever been replaced.

4 of the 2 wire where it connects to the coil/or whatever end, the wire cap was all croded really bad. The other 2 of the 4 were quite shiny.

On the Spark Plug end 3 of the 4 plugs seemed fairly white rather than light tan. Maybe that is normal these days for electronic ignition. The 1 plug was all covered in oil. When I cleaned the oil off the plug looked quite clean where I was expecting it to be black with a lot of crude.

Questions

1) What would cause 2 of the 4 wires to be extrememly croded at the coil end ( full of white residue).

2) What would cause the 1 spark plug to be soaked in what looks like fresh oil.

My advice... Go here and ask the question under the "Tech" forum.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23

These guys, especially fdryer and OldNuc, know every inch of these cars inside and out. Helped me diagnose a bad Ignition control module (the thing the coils mount onto).

I'm sure someone there can answer these questions.

If you haven't replaced your wires since new then they are probably very due.

Also, take a look at all the maintenance videos by Richpin. There are videos for just about anything you'd want to do to these cars.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124184