IGNORED

Big Bend riders, what do you think of this?

Dave77459

Having visited Boquillas Canyon, I found this interesting.

U.S. Proposes Unmanned Border Entry With Mexico

I'm not sure what the impact will be, besides making this spot less desirable to visit. Already you can't visit the canyon without being harassed by vendors. On the other hand, it would be a pretty good spot to start the Ironbutt Border-to-Border Insanity, if it is a vehicle crossing.

Dave

I was under the opinion that it was possible to cross the border and turn around without going thru customs of Canada or Mexico.

Is this not the case anymore?

Most of the Canadian crossings that ive gone across have the 2 countries stations 100 yards apart and I am pretty sure most have some pavement to turn around on in between the 2 stations. (I would stop beofre crossing and advise what youre doing ahead of time though.)

Brian

Thats what I remembered. Might as well go thru, but sometimes traffic and inspections add to the time, since this is a timed race (of sorts).

I see the group ride link shows 270 miles between fuel stops. That likely means an aux fuel tank for most bikes.

Looks to me like the shortest route from border to border is El Paso, TX to East Poplar, Sask. 1380 miles, 23hrs 6min drive time

Edited by RandyR

I was under the opinion that it was possible to cross the border and turn around without going thru customs of Canada or Mexico.

Is this not the case anymore?

You have to somehow prove that you were in the country. A receipt or something like that, I guess, although they mention photos. I guess you could photograph your bike beyond the "Welcome to Mexico" sign?

Dave

Having visited Boquillas Canyon, I found this interesting.

U.S. Proposes Unmanned Border Entry With Mexico

I'm not sure what the impact will be, besides making this spot less desirable to visit. Already you can't visit the canyon without being harassed by vendors. On the other hand, it would be a pretty good spot to start the Ironbutt Border-to-Border Insanity, if it is a vehicle crossing.

Dave

Since the crossing will be unmanned, hard to verify the crossing into Mexico for the Iron Butt. I am going to attempt next year from Brownsville to Emerson, BC. Its longest route (over 1750mi) but do-able in 36hrs.

Thats what I remembered. Might as well go thru, but sometimes traffic and inspections add to the time, since this is a timed race (of sorts).

I see the group ride link shows 270 miles between fuel stops. That likely means an aux fuel tank for most bikes.

Looks to me like the shortest route from border to border is El Paso, TX to East Poplar, Sask. 1380 miles, 23hrs 6min drive time

Let me know and Ill get down to East Poplar and wave at ya, or if ya want have some parts ready or something.

Brian

Since the crossing will be unmanned, hard to verify the crossing into Mexico for the Iron Butt. I am going to attempt next year from Brownsville to Emerson, BC. Its longest route (over 1750mi) but do-able in 36hrs.

I must be looking at the wrong Emerson, because MapSource says it is 3200 miles, one way. Oy!

You have to somehow prove that you were in the country. A receipt or something like that, I guess, although they mention photos. I guess you could photograph your bike beyond the "Welcome to Mexico" sign?

Dave

Around here the border crossings are really uneventful and quick. Last summer going to Cody I took my helmet off and handed over my drivers and passport and was all of 2 minutes until I was on my way. Coming home when crossing back into Canada I didnt have to remove my helmet (had the 3/4 on), handed my passprt over, was asked how long I was away, if I had anything to declare, and how much I spent down there. . Took about 1 minute and I was on my way.

Hardly ever line ups in this part of the continent, I think the border guys are just happy to have someone to talk to some days..lol

But, that said, dont try to hide somethin from them or youll have a bad time.

Brian

We're talking about a goat path, hardly a road, and a water ford. The US about starved out the little town that used to cater only to the park visitors. They would either push a rowboat across, ride a burro or carry you on their backs. Go to town and have a Mexican beer, taco lunch. The Mexican folks would get their mail and do their shopping on the USA side as it was closer than the nearest Mexican town. It added to the "adventure" of the park. I think it's a good thing but 10 years is too late.