IGNORED

Any old gasket removal tricks?

Okay. So I'm out in the garage doing the clutch upgrade. It looks really simple and straight forward. HOWEVER, the old gasket is brittle and stuck pretty good most of the way around. (like 99% of the way around). Does anybody have any old gasket removal tricks, or am I just stuck carefully scraping for a while? I'm gonna go scrape for a while, then come back and check for answers.

I'm using a glass scraper (handle with a safety razor blade that locks in place.

:080402gudl_prv:

thanks. dana

Auto Zone has a gasket softener.

WD-40 helps some too.

It takes a while, I have also used a wire brush on cover, don't use on case side so as to not get stuff in block.

Also been using vasoline on gaskets when I install them, haven't had any leaks. Took motor apart after a year together for some further enhancements last winter, and gaskets came off easier.

Gary

Auto Zone has a gasket softener.

WD-40 helps some too.

It takes a while, I have also used a wire brush on cover, don't use on case side so as to not get stuff in block.

Also been using vasoline on gaskets when I install them, haven't had any leaks. Took motor apart after a year together for some further enhancements last winter, and gaskets came off easier.

Gary

Then would vasoline be a good idea on most gaskets. Sounds like a good thing to do.

NAPA has a spray on gasket softener that made quick work out of the gaskets on my '84. They also have a spray on stripper that does very well. BUT...... watch that stripper! It also removes the clear coat on the cases real quick. Not all bad if you're planning on polishing. If not..... make plans! :crackup:

Mike