IGNORED

Replacing Spark Plug Wires

My '84 Venture tends to not start after I have washed it. I suspect that the 23 year old ignition wires could be at least part of the problem, and I intend to replace them. My question is, what's the best way to access the coil end of the wires? Do I need to remove fairing parts or perhaps the battery compartment? Puzzled in MI...:confused24: Skooter

Skooter

here's a reply some time ago from Paul marsh on this site.

===================

the wires push into the coil and are secured with a retaining nut..

you can reach the front 2 coil towers by reaching up under the front of the fairing. shine a flashlight up in there and you should be able to see the coil towers.

you'll have to remove the top cover, the battery and the battery box to get to the rear coil towers. might have to remove the breather cover too, not sure. been awhile.

===========================

Hope this helps

db

:cool10:

Skooter

here's a reply some time ago from Paul marsh on this site.

===================

the wires push into the coil and are secured with a retaining nut..

you can reach the front 2 coil towers by reaching up under the front of the fairing. shine a flashlight up in there and you should be able to see the coil towers.

you'll have to remove the top cover, the battery and the battery box to get to the rear coil towers. might have to remove the breather cover too, not sure. been awhile.

===========================

Hope this helps

db

:cool10:

I reached both coils from under the faring, wasn't all that easy but can be done. It is easier to do when you have the faring off but to do it again I wouldn't remove the faring. You have to remove the front wires first, then do the back ones before you install the front ones again.

Skooter.....The inner part of a plug wire is a solid wire...Nothing much can go wrong with it except right at the transfer point from the coil to the spark plug wire...If you think the wires are bad I'd remove each spark plug wire at the coil, cut off about 1/8" and stick it back in..

Skooter.....The inner part of a plug wire is a solid wire...Nothing much can go wrong with it except right at the transfer point from the coil to the spark plug wire...If you think the wires are bad I'd remove each spark plug wire at the coil, cut off about 1/8" and stick it back in..

The wires will not go bad but the rubber jacket will deteriorate, and leak out spark when wet,so they do need replacing.