IGNORED

Helmet Problem......HJC SY-MAX II

Snaggletooth

I bought a HJC Sy-Max II about a year ago and have been happy with it. BUT......the other day the release button for the flip up chin acted weird and took a few trys to get it to release. Today it would not release at all. Dang!

I thought at one time someone had mentioned a problem similar to this with the Sy-Max but I can't find anything on a search.

Any thoughts? I'm checking the HJC site for a fix or where to send it in.

Mike

I had a flip up, dont remember type, that did same thing. found button actually pulled on plastic 'pull cords' to open the lock cams, and 1 side had pupped off the cam. easy enough to put back on, but then did it again 2 weeks later, and got a new helmet. I had to pry up the cover, then glued it back down with headliner cement to get access.

Ok, mine helmet was HCI. Plastic pull cord had popped out of the red trigger button. ended up held in with bread ties. Entire flip up removed, and inside pulled loose from top down, leaving bottom seam intact.

BTW HCI L Black modular with mirror visor for sale cheap

I had planned on getting a modular helmet when hubby expressed interest in bikes. Then an awful thing happened. Our roommate's wife was killed last year on her bike. Her helmet came off in the accident. She too had a modular helmet. According to the police report the hinges broke on impact and her helmet came apart. Roomie bought a no name helmet at walmart for her, he lives "frugally" and thought all helmets are created equal, still does. Granted the helmet coming off didn't kill her, but had she lived there's no telling how much brain damage she would have had. I swore off modulars after that and having bike shops beg me not to buy one, one shop even went so far as to show me the safety studies of them. Yeah they sold a few, but fullface was their preference. After seeing what can happen when one fails I'm too scared to use em.

Just my opinion: I have an HJC SyMax 2 modular helmet. I've had it for just over two years. It fits my head shape well and is light enough for me to wear for hours or all day without fatigue. I do ride with the chin bar up (yes, I know it's not recommended) and it forms a good sun visor that way. When I ride in rain or cold, I pull the chin bar down.

The way I see it, a modular helmet is structurally the same as a 3/4 helmet but with the added benefit of the chin bar if it is used in the down and locked position.

The only problem I have with the helmet, or any helmet that I have tried over the years is the reduction in peripheral vision. I have to turn my head to extreme degrees and even then there is still a significant vision blockage.

I never ride without a helmet but have no problem with anyone whose opinion differs. I believe that any helmet will provide some protection. I believe that many people I see wear their helmets with the chin strap way too loose or disconnected altogether. In my opinion (again, just my opinion) that is much the same as not wearing the helmet at all, but that is their perogative of course.

I bought a HJC Sy-Max II about a year ago and have been happy with it. BUT......the other day the release button for the flip up chin acted weird and took a few trys to get it to release. Today it would not release at all. Dang!

I thought at one time someone had mentioned a problem similar to this with the Sy-Max but I can't find anything on a search.

Any thoughts? I'm checking the HJC site for a fix or where to send it in.

Mike

That's why I like the older Nolans with a latch on both sides. It's all mechanical. The later models do have a left hand button with a cable runing to the right latch to make it a one handed operation, but if the cable malfunctions the RH latch can still be operated. Helmets with the center button are all cable. I bought a cheap flip up off Ebay for the kids and the 'string' broke after very little use. I threw it in the trash...

Ahhh BUGGERS!

This is getting interesting. According to the HJC website I need to return it to a HJC dealer, who happens to be my favorite independent bike shop. (Who I did not buy it from since they never carried the model I wanted) I stopped in and they made a call and I would need to send it in and they would replace the chin bar assembly, at my cost, plus shipping both ways, no quote given.

I might mention it was purchased on November 9, 2010. Today is November 15, 2011. One year warranty ya know.

Soooo...... I sent an inquiry to the folks at Motorcycle Gear, then New Enough, where I puchased it explaining the failure and low and behold I received a RMA from them this morning to return the helmet. Now I need to follow up on that to see if the game plan is repair it or exchange it. Odds are good that with that model it may not be available to replace it with another of the same model.

But no matter what I'm going to lose at least part of that nice pinstripe job done by my friend "The Piper". That would suck. I'm pretty fond of the work he did and get a lot of comments on the paint work.

But I got to hand it to the folks at Motorcycle Gear for stepping up to help.

Might have to sneak a peep inside and see what gave out and do some creative repairs.

Mike

Edited by Snaggletooth