OK...either I'm going blind and have skipped right past the section multiple times or it just ain't in the service manual I downloaded from this site?? I'm looking for a step by step to make sure I don't mess anything up during disassembly. I've found a couple for Gen2 but not Gen1.

I'm sure it's been posted before but I can't find that either...maybe I should look for a search tutorial first:confused24:

If you are planning on disassembling and rebuilding the carbs, there is a very good video on this that appears on fleabay for auction. I'm bringing a copy op to Carl's Tuesday along with a video for rebuilding the engine. It is geared for the Vmax but other than the part number being a little different for the jets, the disassembly and reassembly is identical...

Have you done tye Sea-Foam soak??:think:

Nope...just got this ol girl and she only has 57K (kilometers). As good as Seafoam is I'm thinking she'll need more than that. Had it out for a run last night to make sure the shifter dowel pin fix was a fix. It was but she runs rough.

I do use seafoam for winterising though. Still have to put some in the Virago (which is for sale:whistling:)

If you do a soak you could save pulling them things. Its very easy and if they are not completely plugged could save a lot of work. I have posted that procedure several times. Should be around here somewhere.

I hate pulling those things.

Hey Dan...I can't find the procedure you referred to. Any chance you can??

To do a "Soak" Mix about 2/3 Sea-Foam and !/3 fresh gas in a can bottle or whatever. You need about 1/2 pint of mixture to make sure you get it done right. Need a length of cheap fuel line about 12-18 inches. Pull left side cover to get at fuel pump. Clamp off intake line coming from tank to fuel pump with small vice grips and remove from fuel pump. I don't turn off at petcock because they are very easy to break on these things. Hook up length of fuel line where you removed intake line. Put other end in bottle/can of mixture. Start Bike. Let it run til you are sure all carbs are full of mixture. It is better if you drain carb bowls before you do this part. It helps to be sure each carb is getting mixture.After it has ran til you are sure all carbs are full of mixture. Just shut it off and leave it sit at least overnight. I have let them sit 3 or 4 days. Not going to hurt anything. Fire it back up dump rest of mixture into tank and ride it like you stole it. This has been known to drown a plug til it won't fire back up now and then if you do it with full strength Sea-Foam but it will clean carbs.

That is why I add gas to the mix now. Makes restarting easier.

Call me if you need anything else.

Edited by Yammer Dan

Mike,

As was mentioned, I wrote up a reasonable step-by-step on removal, cleaning and installation. The only thing that I would improve on would be that instead of dipping the carbs... take them to a speed shop that can untrasound dip them in cleaner... this will do a MUCH better job at cleaning out the tiny passages in the carb body... and toss in the jets too... that TINY idle fuel jet in the jet block is the absolute culprit in the majority of our carb troubles.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54

Mike when carbs are very dirty I have done this with a mix of 1/3 Sea-Foam 1/3 BerryMans Chem Tech and 1/3 gas. Berrymans is a stronger cleaner but harsher and I don't like using a lot of it. I don't like to leave it sit a long time in the carbs. Can be had at Wally World here. It is only about 3 bucks a can here so can save a few bucks.

Call me if you need help.

Edited by Yammer Dan