IGNORED

Good Luggage Rack

maineventurerider

Don't know if this is the right place to post this or not, but do any of you guys know of a good trunk rack for 2nd gens? The one from Star Motorcycles is expensive and, frankly, looks a little small. I'd like to spend a little less money, and I need to know that what I'm getting will fit a Venture.

We're going on a 2 1/2 to 3 week trip next summer :cool10: and a little more storage room would be nice. We've gone on the road for two weeks before and getting everything inside the hard bags is a tight squeeze sometimes, and we travel light!

Ride Safe!

1/2crazed

I bought a knock off on ebay and the saddle bag guards. It's ok but I had to chase all the threads to clean them up, and I noticed on the saddle guard bolts they have a slight rust after getting wet. Everything I have read is polish them and wipe them off. Make sure the trunk rack has straps that sit on and under the lid. . .

That doesn't sound good about the threads. Do you remember what the brand that rack is? I may want to avoid that one.

Is the rust much of a problem on the saddlebag guards? Are these the ones I've seen for about $75 on ebay? My bike doesn't have them and I'd like to add them too.

Thanks and ride safe

2 to 3 weeks? I might suggest you have plenty of time to think about a Harbor Freight trailer. Then you can even bring beach chairs,,, heck, maybe a Lazy Boy.

I pull a trailer. Wife can fill it quick.

But also, I bought a Revco 11x16 cooler rack for my RSV. I had to fab a new set of tail lights cause the tour bag hides the bike lights. But because my bike is lowered it puts too much weigh on the rear.

I can actually carry more on my RSTD than my RSV. The RSV trunk is good but limited. Then when you put a tour bag on the luggage rack, you have that much more weight above your center of gravity. That's why a small trailer takes care of it all.

Thanks for the input guys. I realize I can't put too much weight up high without affecting low speed handling, etc. But I'm too much of a woos to want to back up with a trailer, deal with 2 up riding in parking lots with a trailer and all that. And my wife says NO WAY to a trailer! She's afraid it will make my low-speed technique even worse than it already is.

I'd rather just travel light.

On our 2 week 5000+ trip mile to Sturgis and back last summer we had no problem getting every thing inside the bags, esp in the AM when we were wearing our leather jackets. The only problem is when it gets hot later on and you take the leathers off. But we could still get them back in the trunk, it was just a tight squeeze. :mad::mad:

On this trip we plan to pack even lighter, one pair of long pants instead of 2, plenty of underwear, enough t-shirts for a few days (instead of a week), and that's really all we need. Heck, my wife even brings her blow dryer! You can always do laundry when you need to. I've just found that at the end of most long trips, I still have unworn clothes at the bottom of the saddlebag liners, so if I don't need them, why bring them?

The difference this time is we're going to Yellowstone for a few days, Rocky Mtn Natl Park and the Grand Canyon and let me tell you, it's cold in them thar hills! :cold::cold:

So we'll probably both need to bring a hoodie along with our chaps and jackets.

Ride Safe,

1/2crazedbikr

Thanks for the input guys. I realize I can't put too much weight up high without affecting low speed handling, etc. But I'm too much of a woos to want to back up with a trailer, deal with 2 up riding in parking lots with a trailer and all that. And my wife says NO WAY to a trailer! She's afraid it will make my low-speed technique even worse than it already is.

1/2crazedbikr

Actually, I find that, with the trailer attached, you are more stable in a parking lot.

Kind of like a light hand on the back keeping you steady. Like going down a stars,, just a light touch on the hand rail helps keep your balance.

But, yeah backing is like doing math while someone tickles your feet. Goes wrong way fast. More than once I have got off the bike and PULLED the trailer sideways to get it straight.

I have not looked at prices for a while, so I won't comment on that, but I strongly suggest you stick with the Star rack. It is the only one I know of that has the long chrome strips to go between the mounting posts, both inside AND out. These are important. If you crack the trunk lid, a replacement is a thousand bucks!

Many people have bought the aftermarket gold wing rack (the one sold by JCW and most wing sites), and although there are plenty of people happy with them, I have seen quite a few reports of quick rusting and broken trunk lids.

If you absolutely insist on cheaping-out on this part, make sure you use large fender washers on the mount posts to spread the load over more of the plastic surface.

Max load for ANY rack on that trunk top should be 20 lbs.

Goose

.....I strongly suggest you stick with the Star rack. It is the only one I know of that has the long chrome strips to go between the mounting posts, both inside AND out. These are important.

Many people have bought the aftermarket ....I have seen quite a few reports of quick rusting and broken trunk lids.

Max load for ANY rack on that trunk top should be 20 lbs.

Goose

I agree. The Star rack never seems to have reports of rusting/flaking issues. It is important to have the support chrome strips as it spreads the load instead of being four posts taking the load - you'll crack the trunk lid or they'll go thru and make a big hole.

Maximum weight is 20 lbs... and make sure you do NOT close the trunk by pushing down on the rack and don't use it to open the trunk. This is written up in the installation instructions.

I've got the star on ours. We put my big canvas duffle bag on it (antenna to antenna) and it worked fine out to Colorado in '10 but made it top heavy in high winds. Six days is about all we can pack for. Fixed that problem this summer and go a Aluma trailer for next year. The wife is so excited. Room for more shoes!!!:thumbsup2:

Thanks for all the great info guys. I may just spring for the Star rack. I see what you mean about the straps between the legs to distribute the load. As far as the trailer thing...

I just like to keep things simple, so a trailer's not for me, although I have two friends that use them. Also reminds me-a few summers ago near Deals Gap a buddy of mine was riding his Goldwing and a pulling a heavy trailer. We all had to stop on a STEEP incline in gravel and, you guessed it, he couldn't stop the bike from sliding backwards and he dropped it. Fortunately neither he nor the bike were hurt. But it took us all a time to get him sguared away after that!

And I'm definitely lucky to have a wife that can go on a 2 or 3 week road trip and fit all her stuff in 1 saddlebag and a small portion of the trunk, including blow dryer and makeup! And she looks great doing it.

Oh and Mike G in SC, that was a great line about how backing a trailer is like doing math while somebody tickles your feet!

Ride Safe!

1/2crazed

I'd rather just travel light.

On our 2 week 5000+ trip mile to Sturgis and back last summer we had no problem getting every thing inside the bags, esp in the AM when we were wearing our leather jackets. The only problem is when it gets hot later on and you take the leathers off. But we could still get them back in the trunk, it was just a tight squeeze. :mad::mad:

On this trip we plan to pack even lighter, one pair of long pants instead of 2, plenty of underwear, enough t-shirts for a few days (instead of a week), and that's really all we need. Heck, my wife even brings her blow dryer! You can always do laundry when you need to. I've just found that at the end of most long trips, I still have unworn clothes at the bottom of the saddlebag liners, so if I don't need them, why bring them?

The difference this time is we're going to Yellowstone for a few days, Rocky Mtn Natl Park and the Grand Canyon and let me tell you, it's cold in them thar hills! :cold::cold:

So we'll probably both need to bring a hoodie along with our chaps and jackets.

Ride Safe,

1/2crazedbikr

I just pulled my piggybacker for the last two weeks and the low speed parking lot handling was better with the trailer than without. It was like I hadwill training wheels installed. Traveling in the mountains was different because you have to watch your seeds more when entering a turn.