IGNORED

Spring break Florida

CaptainJoe

Just checked out mapquest:

Will be traveling 77S to 26E merging onto I-95 S via EXIT 169A toward Savannah

It's about a 500 mile ride from my house.

Hows far from home is that point for you ?

Actually, I attended a WV Ride-Along in October, and it is better for me to take I81 up north. Looks like my route would be I78, I81, I77, I26 and I95. I81 joins I77 between Pulaski and Wytheville, VA. Mileage to Pulaski, VA is 8 hrs / 487.20 miles. It's a good day's ride for me to get to Pulaski, VA. We could meet where I81 and I77 meet. We just need a meeting place. Looks like we can travel more than 2/3 of the way together.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I attended a WV Ride-Along in October, and it is better for me to take I81 up north. Looks like my route would be I78, I81, I77, I26 and I95. I81 joins I77 between Pulaski and Wytheville, VA. Mileage to Pulaski, VA is 8 hrs / 487.20 miles. It's a good day's ride for me to get to Pulaski, VA. We could meet where I81 and I77 meet. We just need a meeting place. Looks like we can travel more than 2/3 of the way together.

Looks like mileage from Pulaski, VA to Savannah, GA is 6 hrs 20 mins / 393.24 miles. Guess we could meet on my second day, your first day, and ride to Savannah. I would be a little closer. If my wife flies to Fort Lauderdale, then I would need to pick her up on the way by. Likewise, I would have to drop her off on the way back. Other than that, it looks like smooth cruising. Does this sound too agressive a schedule? Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Looks like mileage from Pulaski, VA to Savannah, GA is 6 hrs 20 mins / 393.24 miles. Guess we could meet on my second day, your first day, and ride to Savannah. I would be a little closer. If my wife flies to Fort Lauderdale, then I would need to pick her up on the way by. Likewise, I would have to drop her off on the way back. Other than that, it looks like smooth cruising. Does this sound too agressive a schedule? Let me know what you think. Thanks!

7.9 Hours riding time not including stops:Venture:

7.9 Hours riding time not including stops:Venture:

Brake Pad, You are correct. We may want to break our trip up more to allow for stops and slower speeds. If CaptainJoe and I are both retired, then we can plan a more relaxed trip. When I went to a WV ride-along in October, I took two days to get there. It was nice to only have daytime driving and time for an early dinner. Prefer to do most MC riding in the daylight. It would be bad to hit a critter in the dark. I'm open to ideas.

I would go a bit out of my way and meet you guys in Savanah, Ga and ride down from there with you all.:thumbsup2:

My wife and I would be up for this as well. I'll keep checking in on this one.

On Key Largo ( or Tavenier) is Ragged Edge Motel. On Atlantic side. $100.00 last time I stayed there, but there were two rooms and a kitchen, so for people /couples willing to room together the price would be half. Older traditional motel with indiviual two story house style buildings. As long as the owner is a alive it will remain this way. Nice location on the Atlantic side, has a pool.

Places to stay in Islamorada, Key Lantern Inn and Blue Fin Inn (same owners), old but clean, some of the lowest rates in the keys. You can walk to Lorelei Restaurant and Bar (and walk back) for good food and great sunsets. For those Flying solo, Woodys Adult Entertainment is also walking distance (about a 1/2 mile).

Camping- Big Pine Key Fishing Lodge has camping and rooms. In April availability may be opening up there. No Name Pub and Key Deer (about the size of a dog) are attractions on Big Pine Key. The last time we camped there, the Key deer just walk through the campground.

Also Knights Key Campground is still open last time I was through there. Had the bottom not fallen out of the real estate market, Knights Key campground would be condos now. Nice locationon Atlantic side

There is a KOA on Fiesta Key ( might be Encore now, not sure), that being said I think rooms at Key Lantern are cheaper than a campsite at the KOA.

Bahia Honda State Park has Campgrounds and so does Long Key State Park. Getting in these is kind of hit or miss in winter season. Early April may have some availabililty.

If anyone is interested in Offshore Fishing, I know a boat and captain I have been on four times now dolphin fishing. Limited the boat each time. Captain Lee Robinson- Jackpot.This guy loves to fish. He used to go out of his house in Tavenier, now I heard he is at Ocean Reef Resort in Key Largo.

Anyone making this trip coming down the west coast of Florida is welcome to stay here.

Derrek

RSTDdog

Sandyville to Ft. Lauderdale 1018 miles.

Yemassee, SC off of I-95 is the approx. halfway point at 512 mi.

I will Leave Saturday 8 am, travel 200 mi. and be at a pre-determined meeting place, intersection of I-77 and I-81 by lunch???

If we made it to Yemassee, SC. that would leave another 506 miles to go to Ft lauderdale,fl.

If my friend comes along, he's got another hour to travel as he lives in Whipple,oh.

Rick, don't know if we're going to stop and do an overnight before Savannah,Ga. Depends on how everyone feels about it at that point. Whipple,Oh to Savannah, Ga is about 610 mi. and thats pushing it, as my friends on a Harley...(just kidding) :duck:

On past trips we stopped around the Orangeburg, SC. area. Regardless, we could meet around the Savannah area before lunch Sunday, I'm sure.

Thinking if we leave Sunday at 8am we should be in the Ft. Lauderdale area by 6:30-7:00PM. or before.

We can spend the night there, then head to key Largo and be there before lunch Monday morning.

Wahhhh Hoo!:cool10:

Hey Leo,

Looked at Mapquest, Cransford,NJ to Hillsville,Va is 517 mi.

If you left at 8 am. Friday travel 310 mi. to Woodstock,VA stay overnight it would be around a 7 hour ride... thats a very conserative number assuming 50 mph(including breaks) and a 1 hour lunch... I'm assuming your on a 09 Hannigan RSV trike?

Personally have a Utopia backrest and it is the Cats Meow!

Then if you left at 8 am Saturday and you could meet us in I-77/I-81 area at noon.. although that would leave a 300 mile to go.

What we normally do is time our stops to maximize efficiency... Neither one of us is a smoker so that helps alot...

Here's how a day normal progresses:

Wake at 7 am. eat breakfast, pack bikes (we always have a seperate overnight bag so that is just a matter of carrying a bag and helmet to the bike.)

8 am. depart

10 am. Gas and 15 - 20 min. rest stop, normally around the +100 mile mark

12 pm. Gas and lunch normally 1 hour, normally around the +200 mile mark

1 pm. on the road

3 pm. Gas and 15 -20 min. rest stop, normally around the +300 mile mark

5 pm. Gas and 15 - 20 min.rest stop, normally around the +400 mile mark

6 - 7 pm. Gas stop, normally around the +500 mile mark, time to park the "fully fueled" bikes for the night.

Eat dinner have a cold one ...

Somedays you make better time than others. Normally we average 58 miles an hour thats 70 mph % 60 min = 1.16666666 X 100 min. travel time = 116 % 2 hrs. = 58.33 and thats with a 20 min. stop every 2 hours.

Very important for everyone to fill up at every stop or will make entire group stop which kills entire planning.

Theres a method to this madness and we've found it to be the most efficient use of time. on the road about 10 - 11 hours but it's a very plesant 10 hours. We never stop at a rest stop unless it's for a quick bathroom break or hotel literature/maps stop.

:Venture:

Edited by CaptainJoe

Yes, I will be on our 09 Hannigan RSV trike. Appreciate you trying to save me a night in a motel, but I would prefer to break the trip up a bit. That way, I will not have two back-to-back 500 mile days. I just ordered my Utopia backrest. The make and ship date is Jan 23. That gives me plenty of time to install it. Also want to install my new luggage rack. Believe my front tire is adequate for this trip. I may order a tire to have it onhand. Should also do an oil change. bike is still young and in good shape. I have no problems following your stop schedule. Our trike has an auxilliary fuel tank, so I carry 11 gallons total. Should have no problem following your schedule. Will you pre-book motel rooms or will we look for motel rooms according to progress made? Any more thoughts about the dates? Thanks!

"Will you pre-book motel rooms or will we look for motel rooms according to progress made? Any more thoughts about the dates? Thanks!"

For trip down, will book on the fly. We've found if you hit a rest stop and grab hotel literature you can get some really good rates...

When we hit Key Largo, we should probably have reservations before hand???

Need to make some calls.

Not sure on exact date, will probably decide that after Crhristmas/New Year but definately need to firm that up and get posted on our calendar of events...

Florida Keys times to avoid: Especially packed days, weeks and weekends: Presidents' Day weekend (February), Easter week, Memorial Day weekend (end of May), the Fourth of July, Labour Day weekend (September), Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's.

Easter week, I'm thinking would be 4/1 thru 4/8? Which kinda kills traveling for both the first and second week of April.:confused24:

Ok here it goes: How does March 12 - 15th work for everyone?

Edited by CaptainJoe

"and why not March 26-29? Afraid if we go too early I may have to bail out due to bad weather. "

Threw this date out "can to kick around" as JSRAINs wife works for the school system and that's when she has a spring break.

From the responces we've gotten thus far:

March:

1 - 2 To Cold

5 - 9 To Cold

12 - 16 Highly Possible

l9 - 23 Possible

26 - 30 (last week in March is Kregerdoodles MD)

April is Easter and "showers month"

Lets wait and see how many others are going to commit to dates. I'm flexable, in fact, most trips I take are at a moments notice "decided on the weather."

In this case though, we need to set a date certain, as people will be scheduling their vacation and most places want a months notice.

:confused24:

Edited by CaptainJoe

Wish I had a crystal ball...... ;)

So what’s in store for the coming winter?

(The following overview is for the United States.)

For the winter of 2011–12, the Farmers’ Almanac is forecasting “clime and punishment,” a season of unusually cold and stormy weather. For some parts of the country, that means a frigid climate; while for others, it will mean lots of rain and snow.

The upcoming winter looks to be cold to very cold for the Northern Plains, parts of the Northern Rockies, and the western Great Lakes. In contrast, above-normal temperatures are expected across most of the southern and eastern U.S. Near-normal temperatures are expected in the Midwest and Far West, and in southern Florida.

A very active storm track will bring much heavier-than-normal precipitation from the Southern Plains through Tennessee into Ohio, the Great Lakes, and the Northeast. Because of above normal temperatures, much of the precipitation will likely be rain or mixed precipitation, although, during February, some potent East Coast storms could leave heavy snow, albeit of a wet and slushy consistency.

An active Pacific Storm track will guide storm systems into the Pacific Northwest, giving it a wetter-than-normal winter.

Drier-than-normal weather will occur in the Southwest and Southeast corners of the nation.

http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather/2011/08/29/2012-us-winter-forecast/

Captain Joe:

Please include me and the bride on this trip....She is really interested in going to the keys but has a work scheduling problem that is being worked on....I hope successfully!! However, a set of definate dates will help......Thanks....lynnjean:fingers-crossed-emo

Let me check out how to set up a poll.

I will set it up for three selections(three weeks) and it is intended for people that have a better than average chance of attending, that truly intend on going.

Fair enough?:confused24:

Before is To Cold for folks traveling from the north...

March

12 - 16

l9 - 23

26 - 30

Easter Week - crowded

Spring showers...

Poll results.

Votes March

1 - 12th-16th

2 - 19th-23rd

2 - 26th-30th

10 - No preference

So... we're going to go with the 26th thru the 30th as one of the voters for the 19-23 actually perferred that date.

Hig4s is also going to be there that week, although they will be in a c a g e :confused24: and No I don't know why??? LOL

Am truly sorry I couldn't pull off a date where everyone could attend, although I did try....The main concern, revolved around the fact that early March for the folks up north, is totally unpredictable.

Will post on the calendar tonight.

Update... Calendar is up !

Thanks Joe

Edited by CaptainJoe