IGNORED

Telling on Myself

RoadKill

Weather was 50 degrees, so I took the bike out for a WET ride. Everything going great and then my cruise went off all by it self and I could not get it on again. :crying: Shut it off turn it on, Nothing. Few miles further down the road as I kept pushing set, cancel, set, cancel, etc. I shifted my feet off the highway pegs and realized my heal had been resting slightly against the rear brake. Guess What. :whistling:Cruise works! :thumbsup: What a relief thought I was going to have to tear into the switch or maybe replace it. Next time this happens, I think I check my feet first.

Jay

Perhaps that dumb foot of yours was telling you something ...."No cruise control on wet roads , Please !".

Besides that , Glad to see ya out on the scoot ! :cool10:

BEER30

Figured it didn't hurt too much to use it since it was Interstate, was I wrong? Never use it in the rain, but this was just dampness. Educate me if I need it. Lord knows I'll take all the help I can get.

I made the same mistakes several times before, up in Alaska . Lost control and darn near missed hitting other people and ran off the road using the cruise control in the snow . Another instance I hit some damp slick asphalt , Mother nature does not tell the cruise control the weather conditions as well as any other adverse hazards .

Cruise control speed is set by the speedometer , it does not distinguish whether or not the the drive tire slip or not as long as the speedometer says it's going as fast as it was set , therefore the engine RPM's will increase until the speedometer reaches it's set position . Just like on the older cages with manual transmissions that did not have a sensor that told the cruise control to de-activate when the clutch was de-pressed , the motor would rev higher and higher regardless of the speed of the cage .

Perhaps my wording was to harsh , but I would like to see all us members again another day .

BEER30

Roadkill, glad you got out. Sitting home near Peoria, IL, I went out and cleaned the bugs off from the last ride about a month ago and thought about going out, but didn't. Wish I had now.

Yea, keep that cruise off if there is even a hint of slick out there!

I made the same mistakes several times before, up in Alaska . Lost control and darn near missed hitting other people and ran off the road using the cruise control in the snow . Another instance I hit some damp slick asphalt , Mother nature does not tell the cruise control the weather conditions as well as any other adverse hazards. BEER30

Some of you LEOs may correct me on this, but I was told one of the reasons we saw so many cars in the median after a bridge on the interstate was because of the cruise control reaction on the slick bridge surface. Like you say, it doesn't know, or care, what the surface is, whether there's a tight turn, whatever, it does what it was told to do whether you're on two wheels or four.

as i understand, "cruise control", it tells the engine to "pull" at a constant speed.the road friction, determines how hard the engine has to work.

as soon as traction ,with the road surface , is lost due to water ,snow ,ice, whatever,the engine surges because there is NO traction. then when , traction is regained, the bike/auto, "shoots forward , or in what ever direction , you might have been re-directed toward!

just jt

Another safety issue is that (I believe) one way the cruise control cut off is controlled is by the brake light. So as well as turning the cruise off, you were riding with the brake light on. If you had to stop suddenly, drivers behind you wouldn't know! You need to watch out for that with you right foot on the highway peg.

Most bridges have an incline to them, so when you have the cruise set, the load of climbing the incline is calling for more throttle to keep the set speed. In the winter months, bridge decks usually will be the ambient temperature. Frost, condensation from the vehicle exhaust, other moisture will drip off the vehicle from hitting the expansion joint onto the the bridge deck and collect and freeze. Your vehicle, calling for throttle, hits the bridge deck, the tires will then loose traction (usually accelerating quickly), and usually cause you to loose control. larger bridges they usually hit the rails. Shorter bridges it's usually just after the bridge into the ditch or median.

Here on one of the bridge decks, DOT is using an experimental compound on the bridge deck to see if it can help stop this. Only east bounds lanes were covered, wests are not. Lots of tracks leading into the ditch for the west bounders.....none for the east bound, and after last nights rain, over 70 cars in the ditch in a 10 mile stretch, none on that bridge. So it seems to be working.

Erns

Makes sense. Really appreciate all the input. NO MORE CRUISE on slick surfaces. Thanks Beer 30 for getting it started and pointing it out. I want to see you again too. I'm curious to see what new piece of leather you have added. :rotf:

Merry Christmas Y'all!

Makes sense. Really appreciate all the input. NO MORE CRUISE on slick surfaces. Thanks Beer 30 for getting it started and pointing it out. I want to see you again too. I'm curious to see what new piece of leather you have added. :rotf:

Merry Christmas Y'all!

Hey , you did name this topic , "Telling on Myself " .:rotf::rotf::rotf:

Watch out for the railroad tracks too , even without cruise control . 2nd week I had my scoot , crossed the tracks in a lean going around a curve/intersection . Both front and rear tires hit evenly on the tracks . I slipped ..no kidding , about 2-3 feet sideways as I was in the turn . Soiled my seat pretty badly , but maintained the scoot upright . There are "slickums" everywhere and some that the Gremlin Bell does not see either !

BEER30