IGNORED

I hate brakes..constant pressure issue..any ideas

You do not have to use the front line port on the rear master. Simply take the valve parts out of the proportioning valve on the rear master, very easy to do. The brass colored part and the spring in picture get removed, this is proportioning valve that is on rear master.

What you propose to do by running both lines to the master is doable. Another easy option is to get a VMax front splitter. they are on ebay often for about $10. This will mount to the fork lower triple tree easily.

Look at your front master cylinder and see if there is 14mm on the casting, lower rear left side, should be on your bike. If there is, master will work.

Gary

I have to disagree...14mm will not move 2 sets or 4 piston calipers to maximum potential quickly when needed. Meaning the lever may pull right to the grip. Maybe they used 14mm for a while on the early R1's . But I believe they quickly changed to the standard 5/8". I tried with the stock 14mm...w/ss lines...It was poor till I put in 5/8" bore master. My master came from an early YZF1000. The lever cannot get within 1.0" of the grip. Meaning I will not mash my remaining fingers against the grip when doing 2 finger stop. And the lever is not hard to pull ...it's smooth and linear. Lastly...the 1300 bleeder from '86-93 makes a world of difference bleeding the brakes the OEM set up. W/O it...you have to remove the left caliper from the fork. Raise it higher than the triple tree. Place a wedge between the pads and have one or to friends help with the bleeding.

Edited by jasonm.

• 2 weeks later...
I have to disagree...14mm will not move 2 sets or 4 piston calipers to maximum potential quickly when needed. Meaning the lever may pull right to the grip.

I have a 14mm on mine with delinked brakes, R1 calipers.

I can put full force on the lever with all four fingers and the closest lever gets near the pivot end is about 3/4".

Going to a 5/8" master would cause a reduction in available maximum pressure applied to the calipers, though the volume would increase as compared to a 14mm (9/16" approx.)

Against conventional teachings, I rarely use all four fingers on the front brake lever. I don't have to, the brakes are that good. I have never pinched a finger with this master, I use index and middle finger for braking, allowing little & ring finger to still control throttle. There are number of occasions where I will reach out and 'cover' the brake lever while still under throttle, especially when I see traffic that may do something unexpected.

Gary

Thanks Gary,

I can't remember the last time I used more than two fingers on a front brake.

Quite honestly, in an emergency braking situation the LAST thing you need to be doing is grabbing a handful of front brake. I can't think of a quicker way to lock-up the front wheel, leading to lots of pain.

Two finger squeezing is best, and if that doesn't stop you as quickly as you might like, then fix the brakes :)

Thanks Gary,

Quite honestly, in an emergency braking situation the LAST thing you need to be doing is grabbing a handful of front brake. I can't think of a quicker way to lock-up the front wheel, leading to lots of pain.

Two finger squeezing is best, and if that doesn't stop you as quickly as you might like, then fix the brakes :)

I have grabbed a handfull of front brake a footfull of rear brake and prayed at the same time!! I think its the prayers.....:think:

Thanks Gary,

Have to respectfully disagree the only time to need to worry on these bikes delinked with grabbing handful of front brake is on substandard surface wet and slick, gravely, sandy etc. Your not going to do a stoppie and flip over the handle bars. I would worry more bout locking rear but even then if the rear end comes around if your off it quickly before it comes around youll be ok and wont high side

I do believe forward control bikes with big car like brake pedal encourages slamming the rear brake.