IGNORED

GPS Questions

BradT

I know little to nothing about GPS's. So I was wondering what you thought is a good GPS for bikes. Preferebly one that is priced reasonable.

Would like to know what features one should look for, and what options would be beneficial to have.

Thanks

Brad

Hey Brad, I have the Garmin 2730 and think it's the best accessory I've added to the bike. GPS's are a lot like computers, new technology cost more. You need to figure out what it is you want the GPS to do and buy according to your present and future needs rather than cost.

Some of the things I think a GPS should have are:

1. Text to speech, the actual naming of the streets and exits rather then just "Turn Right in 500 meters". There can be a lot of places to turn right in 500 meters ahead of you. With Text to Speech you can keep you eyes on the road rather than on a GPS screen. With Text to speech the size of the screen only matters for ease of programing, not the ability to read the map while riding down the road. So 3D, 2D, North Up map views are nice but not vital. The same goes for Touch Screens rather then Buttons.

2. Auto Routing with the ability to make Detours and Auto Corrections.

Life doesn't always go as planned

3. The ability to FIND things on or near your current route and destination like Gas Stations, Hotels, Grocery Stores, and god forbid Hospitals.

These three things I believe to be vital, the rest is just gravy.

Hope my 2 cents helps :soapbox:

I am looking to purchase the Garmin Zumo 550. After looking at a lot of GPS write up I stopped my choice on the Zumo . A little costly :mo money: but it has a lot to offer and is made for the outdoors :snow2: :snow2: .

I will also use it in my car during the winter time .

I have my name at two distributors so they will call me as soon as they have some in stock!

Can't wait! got lost again :bang head: :bang head: on the weekend and my wife got me on the right track AGAIN" :Im not listening to :Im not listening to :Im not listening to :Im not listening to