A while back, I had an issue with the bike not running. I was pretty sure it was the fuel pump, but turned out to be bad gas and plugged filter/line.

Once again, the bike died on me less than a mile after leaving the house. This time it acted like it was hitting only 2 or 3 cyls.

Check the pump, good. Checked the filter, good. Drained 1 qt of fuel from tank with reserve selected, good.

My conclusion is it is either something in the tank occasionally blocking the fuel flow thru the petcock or a clogged jet.

This last time it died, I could start it back up and it would run very rough. After about 5 minutes, it was like nothing was wrong.

Tank and a half of fuel and a can of SeaFoam, it is running well. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Ok guys, I may have spoke too soon. Nothing like walking out to the parking lot a 2am and the bike won't start. Acted like it was fuel starved. Flipped the fuel valve to "reserve" and it started up and ran the 30 miles home.

Drained 2.5 gallons out of the tank this morning then pulled the valve. I did not see anything that may have been blocking the pick-up screen.

Since the tank is off, I am changing the plugs too.

Is this your 07 RSV?

I know that you said you ran seafoam through it but have you actually pulled the carbs off to take a look and clean as appropriate? It will take a couple of hours but it really is not a bad job at all.

I would also go ahead and check to make sure it is running on all 4. The 'finger-tip' test would work for that. Since you have the tank off you can easily check the resistance of the caps to see if you have a potential problem there too.

The orifices in the carbs are unbelievably tiny and it does not take much for them to get gunked up so chances are good that you are due for a cleaning anyways. Now that I have been through the process once (thanks to goose) I wish I would have pulled my carbs long LONG ago when I had suspicions about my bike not running all that well. I certainly won't hesitate to do it again.

It sounds like you have your issues pinned down reasonably well so I don't know that I can be of much more help.

Something else that may contribute to an intermittant running rough would be poor electrical connections somewhere (I doubt this is it, based on your description). The places that I routinely check and find loose connections are the main ground connections and the main fuse connection. The main fuse connection has a tendency to collect some corrosion and cause some intermittent issues here and there. Again, I doubt this is your problem but I figured I would throw it out there as it is an easy thing to check while you have it all torn down.

If you do want some more help troubleshooting some more information about your problem might be helpful. :080402gudl_prv:

Actually, after reading your post again - have you checked for ample fuel flow with the petcock in the "ON" position? It sounds like all is fine when it is in "reserve". Verifying flow through the "ON" position might be something to look into. If you have it all apart, popping that off and cleaning it might be a good thing to do.

For a couple of bucks, it may be worth changing out the fuel filter again - especially if you suspect a partially clogged line or contaminants in the fuel.

I believe the MicroGuard 33011 universal at O'Reilly Auto Parts is a reasonable non OEM replacement.

Actually, after reading your post again - have you checked for ample fuel flow with the petcock in the "ON" position? It sounds like all is fine when it is in "reserve". Verifying flow through the "ON" position might be something to look into. If you have it all apart, popping that off and cleaning it might be a good thing to do.

That is what I did. I drained the tank thru the petcock, turning it between ON and RESERVE. I did not notice a difference in the flow.

For a couple of bucks, it may be worth changing out the fuel filter again - especially if you suspect a partially clogged line or contaminants in the fuel.

I believe the MicroGuard 33011 universal at O'Reilly Auto Parts is a reasonable non OEM replacement.

The filter was changed about 3000 miles (or less) ago. I did take it out and drain fuel thru it also. Does not seemed clogged at all.

I am to the point it is either an intermittent fuel pump issue or a clogged jet.

The filter was changed about 3000 miles (or less) ago. I did take it out and drain fuel thru it also. Does not seemed clogged at all.

I am to the point it is either an intermittent fuel pump issue or a clogged jet.

Understood. I was not quite clear on it when I read your initial post as it sounded like you had just done it via the 'reserve'. Regardless, it sounds like you have it narrowed down quite well.

Best of luck to ya!!:080402gudl_prv: