IGNORED

Installing progressives

OK so I'm a slow learner.

I think the attached pictures answers my question but I want to make sure.

These pictures come from Bkuhr's pictorial of doing progressives.

Am I correct in saying that when installing progressive springs...

instead of re-inserting ALL the stock parts, all I need is the spring washer (#4) between the new spring and the PVC spacer (which has been cut to 1") and the cap (#2)

and finally the cap bolt (#1)

I no longer need the spacer(#3).

Have I got that right?

Just use the stock steel spring washer with the nipple so it seats inside the spring, then the PVC on top of that. The 1" PVC might be a bit long, if so, cut it down to what ever size you are comfportable with and you can use SS washers as shims to add more as needed.

I ended up with 3/4 inch long PVC and a couple of washers on each side. Still a bit of a fight getting the cap started.

Just make sure not to cross thread the caps.

Mike

Just use the stock steel spring washer with the nipple so it seats inside the spring, then the PVC on top of that.

Mike

But don't I need the cap (#2) with the O-ring?

I would still like to have the option of the forks holding air if I decide to put some in.

On my 84 I had a short pvs spacer and that worked good, on my 88 it worked better with no spacer, When you test ride the bike with the new springs see if the front end rides high or if the bike is harder to turn on a section of road that you know well, also check you have full travel on the forks under braking do this with a zip tie, if not you may have to change youre spacer.

I no longer need the spacer(#3).

Have I got that right?

Yep, pitch #3... Also I noticed that in the second pic the cup washer is on the wrong end. It goes between the spring and the PVC, and the cup portion fits into the PVC, not into the spring end. That keeps the spring from chewing up the plastic and the plastic centered in the column. I also found two of those washers in my '83..one for each end.., and I cut one PVC in half. Don't know what the preload length ended up being, but it worked...