Hello,

I finally got my 83 Venture running well enough to ride. Rode to work Saturday. All went well. Got home and went to leave again, Hit the starter button and nothing. No crank, headlight goes out, and gauge lights dim. It will start and run if I jump the starter solinoid contacts. I took my starter switch apart and cleaned the contacts but it made no difference. I found a guide on cleaning the switch by Dingy (old thread from 2009). I noticed that in picture 12, the switch contact pad looks like it is raised. Mine is completely flat/smooth. Would this keep it from making contact? Also, if i flip the kill switch on and off, I can hear a relay switching, so it seems like the kill switch is good. I havent had time to do the tests on the switch yet. I just saw what looked like a possibility. Any thoughts?

Attached below is a picture that wasn't in the write up I did. It shows the contacts after being cleaned. There are no bumps on them.

Bad starter solenoid is my guess. Internal contacts burnt.

Do you hear or feel the starter solenoid engaging?

The relay you hear picking & dropping with kill switch is side stand relay.

Gary

I tried a solenoid the PO gave me with no luck. But I have no idea if it is any good. Any known substitutes I might be able to get from the auto parts store? I would think a standard ford external solenoid would work, except for size? If the lights are dimming , that should indicate the handlebar switch is good? Maybe one for a riding mower would work. Trying to get back on the road quickly and cheaply, but safely. My blazer is killing me on gas on my 50 mile commute to and from work every day.

One of the two sets of contacts in the start switch cuts the head lights out when the starter is cranking (or supposed to be). Separate circuit, from actual starting circuit.

On the 83, there is a two wire connector leading into the start solenoid. Disconnect this connector. MAKE sure bike is in neutral or on center stand. Put 12v power to this connector on solenoid side. Polarity doesn't matter. If bike cranks, there is another problem, if it clicks & bike doesn't crank, solenoid is probably bad.

If solenoid clocks but bike does not crank & as you said in first post, it cranks when you jump terminals on solenoid, it is defiantly bad.

Attached are the 83 starting circuits.

Gary

I checked the solenoid input....12v on one ground on the other.....bike cranked and started......followed the wiring diagram and found the starter cut out relay......noticed it didnt click when key was turned on/ in neutral/sidestand up but figured it should. also noticed it was getting warm when key was on. opened it up and it was rusty/corroded inside. I removed the contact plate and cleaned everything up and cycled it manually until it started working. now to replace the big pile of screws that hold half the fairing on......

Dingy, thanks for the clear diagrams.......the pics in my manual are impossible to read

:dancefool: