IGNORED

cracked windshield

Hey fellow riders,

I just had my second windshield replaced because of cracking from the bottom. The first, about a year and a half ago, was cracked between the left two bolt holes. It was replaced by the dealer under warranty, no problems. This time it cracked out of the far left bolt hole. I printed off the info from this site about the rear fairing bosses breaking and the support bar being a little out of shape. When the dealer took the windshield off, that was the case. They replaced the rear fairing and the support bar along with the windshield, all under warranty. Hope this solves the issue for future cracking as I only have one year left under warranty. Great dealer to work with, Yamaha Jack's in Ellensburg, Wa. I can tell the rear fairing is a lot more evenly spaced from the handlebar mounts so I'm assuming the support bar was a lot of the problem.

Don.

I had this problem years ago on a Concours, but have not had it on my Venture, yet. In the past, the concern with the dealer was that the bolts were being tightened too tight. But the problem continued, even with the bolts carefully finger tight. After the dealer replaced three windshields on the Concours under warranty, the company bought me a Rifle faring, and that was the end of the problem. We never identified what was causing the cracking, but vibration is a suspect. In the case of my Concours, the motor had a problem, and eventually had to be torn down to replace crankshaft. It ran much smoother after the repairs. This excessive vibration may have been the cause. Therefore, you may want to look in that direction, not that you need to tear your motor down, God forbid, but that something else may be loose and transmitting excessive vibration into the faring. Good luck.