I have basically asked the same question a week ago without any real affirmation of a reason why. I used them on two VTX's I have owned and the best thing I can say is you never have to buy a filter again and the reports of being able to run them 20-50k without cleaning and recharging them, of course that is on the pavement only driving. Again on the VTX the intake seemed more throaty.

On price I have been watching them on ebay from $65-$99.

I was looking for some real fuel mileage/performance testimonies

Edited by jrsain

I need to buy new air filters for the 06 RSTD. Anyone have suggestions on a vendor with a good price and quality? Are the K and N filter worth the money?

http://www.stadiumyamaha.com/pages/OemParts?aribrand=YAM#/Yamaha/ROYAL_STAR_TOUR_DELUXE_-_XVZ13CTV_-_2006/INTAKE/XVZ13CTV_%282006_MOTORCYCLE%29/INTAKE_%28XVZ13CTV_-_2006%29

20 bucks apiece for the stock filters. While I dont have the K&N filters I cant imagine any real difference over stock that would make it worth the difference in price, at least to me. I installed a new set of stock filters in my 99 back in 2005 and on occasion I pull them out, hit it with compressed air and install them again. They still look almost new.

http://www.stadiumyamaha.com/pages/OemParts?aribrand=YAM#/Yamaha/ROYAL_STAR_TOUR_DELUXE_-_XVZ13CTV_-_2006/INTAKE/XVZ13CTV_%282006_MOTORCYCLE%29/INTAKE_%28XVZ13CTV_-_2006%29

20 bucks apiece for the stock filters. While I dont have the K&N filters I cant imagine any real difference over stock that would make it worth the difference in price, at least to me. I installed a new set of stock filters in my 99 back in 2005 and on occasion I pull them out, hit it with compressed air and install them again. They still look almost new.

I think I may clean them also considering the cost of K&N. Thanks