IGNORED

Info on Valkyrie Interstate needed

friesman

A friend of mine is putting his baby up for sale and its a 2001 Valkyrie Interstate in a gorgeous red and all the safety chrome. I am disappointed that Honda didnt put Cruise on these machines, but Audiovox makes a universal unit that will work that I can install if I buy the scoot.

Do any of you knowlegable experts know if these units have any gotchas that I should be looking for? This Interstate has about 35k miles on it and has been garaged and has new tires on it, with no scratches or marks anywhere. My total price will be 9000 bucks.

Brian

I've rode a couple Valkyrie's, non interstate, and they are awesome power-wize. 35K is just broke in! @ 6'3" I just didn't care for the seating position and controls under the heads sticking out, otherwize I'd prob have one. RSV just has a better seating position for me. Valk's are great bikes!

Valkyrie like every motorcycle have few issues from the MFG

Wheel Brgs on the Valkyrie from the factory would go bad due to poor quality but from my point of view it all depends on how you ride it I know several riders now that never had that issue because they do not hot rod or race them which will put a lot of strain on the brgs. but changing the brgs on the Valkyrie is not a major job anyway.

Wiring issues like the Venture bad connections on pig tails cleaning and adding Electrical grease would rid the problem

side stand - frame assembly hitting low spots would cause the frame to bend but after seeing my Valkyrie set up I don't see how this would happen due to it being right behind the transmission unless your going a real sharp turn to the left causing it to drag then I could it happening

Timing belts no issue here - but Honda does not recommend looking at them until you reach 100,000 miles WOW I changed mine out due to age (11yrs) mine has 35,000 miles the mfg ones looked really good not bad for 11yr old belts but I feel better knowing they been tended too

and these are much easier to change out then the GL1500 Gold Wing changed mine out under 1 hr time.

Gates # T275 timing belts buy two for the price of one Honda belt ordered from O'Reilly's about 50.00 for the set..

Vacuum lines over time would crack and cause leaks nothing major

easy to get too no Gold Wing plastic to remove

known of head gasket leaks but this is due to poor maintenance from the owner not changing the antifreeze when needed like with any motor poor maintenance will hurt the engine....

What I like the most is its so easy to work on compared to the Gold Wings no plastic to remove!!! much easier to work on

They ride like the Wings good balance and smooth ride plus Valkyrie has more leg room over the Wing..

Some say the button controls are hard to get used too but I see them much easier to operate over the Venture any day.....

my Valkyrie gets 37mpg I can go 200mi before looking for gas but I can go 250mi but I would be on empty by then so I don't go there.....

Don't forget the Valkyrie has a lot of power over the Gold Wing bigger cams & six carbs. this baby will burn rubber and will do a wheelie just like the 1983 First Gens Ventures!!!! it will move.....

Remember these motors are not broke in until you reach 100,000mi and with routine maintenance they can easily do 500,000mi and then some......

Valkyrie like every motorcycle have few issues from the MFG

Wheel Brgs on the Valkyrie from the factory would go bad due to poor quality but from my point of view it all depends on how you ride it I know several riders now that never had that issue because they do not hot rod or race them which will put a lot of strain on the brgs. but changing the brgs on the Valkyrie is not a major job anyway.

Wiring issues like the Venture bad connections on pig tails cleaning and adding Electrical grease would rid the problem

side stand - frame assembly hitting low spots would cause the frame to bend but after seeing my Valkyrie set up I don't see how this would happen due to it being right behind the transmission unless your going a real sharp turn to the left causing it to drag then I could it happening

Timing belts no issue here - but Honda does not recommend looking at them until you reach 100,000 miles WOW I changed mine out due to age (11yrs) mine has 35,000 miles the mfg ones looked really good not bad for 11yr old belts but I feel better knowing they been tended too

and these are much easier to change out then the GL1500 Gold Wing changed mine out under 1 hr time.

Gates # T275 timing belts buy two for the price of one Honda belt ordered from O'Reilly's about 50.00 for the set..

Vacuum lines over time would crack and cause leaks nothing major

easy to get too no Gold Wing plastic to remove

known of head gasket leaks but this is due to poor maintenance from the owner not changing the antifreeze when needed like with any motor poor maintenance will hurt the engine....

What I like the most is its so easy to work on compared to the Gold Wings no plastic to remove!!! much easier to work on

They ride like the Wings good balance and smooth ride plus Valkyrie has more leg room over the Wing..

Some say the button controls are hard to get used too but I see them much easier to operate over the Venture any day.....

my Valkyrie gets 37mpg I can go 200mi before looking for gas but I can go 250mi but I would be on empty by then so I don't go there.....

Don't forget the Valkyrie has a lot of power over the Gold Wing bigger cams & six carbs. this baby will burn rubber and will do a wheelie just like the 1983 First Gens Ventures!!!! it will move.....

Remember these motors are not broke in until you reach 100,000mi and with routine maintenance they can easily do 500,000mi and then some......

I had a 2000 Interstate, and concur with everything said above. I bought an ST1300 on a whim (smoking good deal)and replaced the Valk. HUGE mistake!! I'd probably still be riding it. I have to say my current Venture's riding position is the most comfortable of any bike I've been on. You'll probably want to get an Ultimate or Mustang seat if the previous owner hasn't already. I found the seat was crap. :080402gudl_prv: Ron

My Valk was a great bike...wished I had never sold it. I'm not familiar with the aftermarket cruise control and the only issue I had was the heat from the engine on my legs and the kill switch on the handle bars. This switch can cause havoc on these bikes, so I never used it to turn off the engine.

IMHO...sounds like an excellent price for an Interstate! :cool10:

There is a Mustang seat and i think a Utopia backrest on it already. seems to feel ok just to sit on it but havnt gon any farther than just around the parking lot at work and it seems to fit me ok and the leg position is better than on my 85 G1.

Brian