IGNORED

Noise What Is It?????

Whitlow

So when I start my 01 RSV and it is not warmed up I hear a ticking like an exhaust leak or maybe lose valves. But I thought the valves got tight with time and mileage. I have 14,000 miles on it and don't know if the valves have ever been checked or adjusted. So what could it be and what should I do? After about 3 mins the sound stops.

Several things I might ask?

14,000? this the total miles on the bike or since you owned it?

What weight oil are you using and type of oil filter? some oil filters do not have anti drain back valves which allows oil to drain back into the oil pan mine did that until the oil reach the engine but it dint take 3 min. to do it

mine was the timing chain tensioners having some slack until the oil reach them which was a ticking sound

as for the valve adjustment? my old 83 venture had 86,000 miles and only one was out of spec's as for my 04 Midnight it had over 53,000mi and all were within spec's acourse I really never rode them hard or wild and crazy.

With out looking or hearing the bike its hard to say over the net what you have.....

I would look into the weight of oil used and what brand oil filter your using?

Buddy

Several things I might ask?

14,000? this the total miles on the bike or since you owned it?

What weight oil are you using and type of oil filter? some oil filters do not have anti drain back valves which allows oil to drain back into the oil pan mine did that until the oil reach the engine but it dint take 3 min. to do it

mine was the timing chain tensioners having some slack until the oil reach them which was a ticking sound

as for the valve adjustment? my old 83 venture had 86,000 miles and only one was out of spec's as for my 04 Midnight it had over 53,000mi and all were within spec's acourse I really never rode them hard or wild and crazy.

With out looking or hearing the bike its hard to say over the net what you have.....

I would look into the weight of oil used and what brand oil filter your using?

Buddy

14000 miles total on bike, Rotella 15w40 oil, Yamaha oil filter, it might not be 3 mins for the noise to stop maybe only a min or so.

14000 miles total on bike, Rotella 15w40 oil, Yamaha oil filter, it might not be 3 mins for the noise to stop maybe only a min or so.

Sounds like mine Rotella 15w40 but used Wix or Super Tech filter mine did it for about min if that long I never worried about it when I switch 04 Midnight over to 5W40 Rotella Syn it helped with the ticking noise if this is your case? I would not worry about it at all !

I work with Police cars - Crown Vic and each and every time I change the oil the engine will tick until the oil reaches the chain Tensioners some of these cars have well over 185,000mi.

Buddy

Mine does the same... been that way since I got it with 1300 kilometers on it ... it now has almost 42,000 ... I believe it's the valve chain tensioner (or whatever it's called). It only seems to be on the rear cylinders and it does go away after a couple minutes.