Well, you can simply, Resolder Both Ends, of Both of the old cables.

You might find on carefull inspection, that the factory did not solder the studs, I found that on my new 89, back in 93 that two of the 4 studs had been Soldered.

The other 2 had not.

Simply, cleaning all 4 studs, ( dip in solder flux, and heat with torch ) and then Resolder all 4 studs, is a big improvement!! ( use rosin core solder )

Also where the Neg Cable is grounded to the Engine case, remove the bolt and clean up the corrosion.

Also, where the Pos. Cable Connects to the Starter Motor, you will most likly find Corrosion,

After, cleaning and resoldering the cable Studs, you will have a big Improvement.

Also, Your Starter Solinoid, if over 50K on the Bike, most lilkey is burned to a Crisp Internally !!. Replace the Solinoid, !! This will also be a big improvement in the speed at which your Starter Turns !!

( A DEKA, dry cell, battery is also highly reccomended !! ) Check with " Condor " on the Battery thing, he will back me up on that !!

Also, be sure to Check the Pos. Bat Cable below, the Left, fwd , corner of the battery box, as it pass's thru the frame. Might be some wear, or damage, on the cable insulation, there from rubbing on the frame.

Edited by GeorgeS