IGNORED

Repost of resistor subject

Just wondering if I posted this subject in the wrong forum, since there have been no replies to it, so I will repost it in this section. I'm still interested if someone has the answer.

I PM'ed Condor about a spark related issue and I posed the question to him as to why it is necessary to have a resistor sparkplug cap and a resistor sparkplug. Answer me this question, aren't resistor plugs primarily used to supress electric pulses from interfering with a radio? Yes ,Ventures do have a radio, but isn't the primary reason for owning a motorcycle to ride it and not listen to the c@#p on a radio. Any comments, suggestions, and/or helpful advice? Condor mentioned that he thought that VGoose had posted on this subject at one time. Soooo.....

Thanks all

Resistor used for electronic noise suppression not just for radio, but also for other electronic systems such as engine control computer.

Resistor causes spark to slow down, ie: last longer. This time change is what limits high freq noise, but as the power of the spark is spread across a longer time, the strength of the spark is also diminished.

As with most things engineering, it is a comprimise.

Not saying can't try loosing resistance in one or the other, resistor in cap or plug, but also may require shielding/spacing of electronics, and engine design may be specifically designed for the longer duration spark by cam design, and may have other issues with short duration spark.

:2cents: