IGNORED

Electrical performance 1985 Venture

I've had my project Venture up and running for a while now but I am having problems getting up to 14 volts when running. My head light is dim and signals slow. Battery is fully charged and the bike starts and runs fine. Volts will read a max of 13.8 at 3000 rpm. Is it the stator or something else that I can look at?

Mike Smegielski

Waterbury, CT

13.8V @ 3000 is right where it is supposed to be.

I would look for some dirty/corroded connections in the lighting circuits.

The stock headlights on these bikes are awful, is it really dim or just needs more light output?

How slow is slow for the turn signals?

how old is the battery? I had a 3 year old well kept(charged monthly) standard WalMart battery that was poor when compared to a 9 year old high quality sealed battery which is still good today in my bike. Just because you charged a battery does not mean it's good. If the bike sits for 3 or so days. ignition OFF. The voltage on a meter should be 12.6v or better. Mine always reads 12.8 or better. I ride once a week....that's where it always is before starting before my weekly ride.

Jeff is right, the headlights on these things are awful. My 85 is never on low beam as it just doesnt throw any light at all. I have the silverstar Bulb in that helps a bit but its still pathetic.

The only time I find mine not charging correctly or seems like its undercharging is when the fan is running on a hot day, and it draws enough to take me down to just over 12 volts at highway speeds. So, my question is has it been hot while youve been riding lately and is your fan cutting and a draining your juice.

If you have any questions on an 85 there are a few of us around like Marcarl, Gigawhiskey and a couple of others, please ask away if you need something answered.

Brian