IGNORED

Make millions: invent the canceler canceler!

Semi-retired

"What is "IT".........a gizmo to attach to my Venture AND my wife's V-Star that CANCELS our signal lights the SECOND we turn the corner and bring our bikes to the upright position"

I've witnessed the problem on quite a few bikes over the years and yes it can be quite dangerous going down the road with ones turn signal on.

My wife bought a 250 Vstar back in 2009 and I kept asking her why she didn't turn her turn signals off. Her responce was I can't see them flashing... (there is a little flashing light about the size of a pencil eraser under the clamps to hold the handlebars on.)

So I purchased (2) three element LEDs from advance auto about 3/4" wide and 1 1/2" long, wired and mounted them to the top triple clamps outside fork bolts. Problem solved. She can see them now.

Personally I've always kept my thumb on the switch and turn off asap... habit...

Edited by CaptainJoe

a mechanical switch (micro-switch) would probably not work well in all instances - one example would be where a road is forked and let's say you want to go left at the fork - you don't actually turn the handlebars alot but may lean more into the turn - this lean would not produce enough travel for a switch to function - ( yes it could work with the slightest turn of the hbars but it would then become ultra sensitive and possibly cancel or not apply the signal when needed) .....

someone previously stated that the issue of cancelling the turn signal is not as easy as it may appear - while i agree with the signals may not function perfectly and we should not have to guess when we need to turn on our signal - i believe Yamaha has done a decent job offering us a solution (not the solution) - i like some others here simply self cancel (thumb) when the situation calls for it. i would like to know how HD solved the problem ?!

How many of you (including Brian and anyone else who has all the 'manual references' and technical specs) actually think the signal lights on your Venture turn off as quickly as they should? I'm thinking NOT MANY...otherwise there wouldn't have been such an "orchestra" of members saying they use THEIR THUMBS to turn them off.

Mike

I never considered my flasher cancel an issue, even though I agree they are, some times on to long, it has been a simple solution to 'thumb them off'. I consider the canceler a lot better then my old cb350 that did not auto cancel.

I would also like to point out that the auto canceler is also not perfect. On my way to work I turn from a stop light onto a left Y, and it is not enough turn to cancel my 2010 car. Many times following others who do not cancel their turn.

During lane changes, I hold car turn signal short of locking on, then just release it when done.

How many times have you followed behind a car for miles, wonder when are they going to turn?

I doubt a steering sensor, or a bike lean sensor would be able to satisfactorily cancel turns in all situations, and think time and distance sensors are the most piratical, although still not perfect.

Other than mind control sensor, maybe could be improved by adding bike lean sensor to the time and distance sensors, all three with user adjustable parameters to suit individual preference.