IGNORED

Need to Replace Electric Hot Water Heater-Opinions?

RSTDdog

Guest scarylarry
usually on overhead tanks code requires a catch basin with a drain

I seen one blow and water went everywhere, odd yes..

I would think long and hard of a attic water heater, but the good part would take less to heat in the tank...

If available, switch to gas. Typically, electric is 3 times more expensive per BTU then natural gas. It may even be worth installing a propane tank if natural gas is not avail, especially if you are considering switching other appliances to gas. Propane is usually half the cost of electric. The decision to go tank or tankless is secondary to the fuel source.

Scott

Certified Energy Manager

Association of Energy Engineers

Guest tx2sturgis

He did the right thing by replacing with a similar electric unit.

With only 2 adults, the ROI on a tankless, gas or electric, would take years...maybe a decade or more. Tankless units are better suited for new construction with the expectation that there will be several residents, including a few teens.

The attic location he chose means that for most of the year it will have some help in its heating load, and the standby losses will be almost nill. In the winter time, I might be tempted to put a water heater thermal blanket on it, to help conserve heat in the cooler attic temps...although in Florida, it rarely will be below freezing for very long.

A catch/overflow tank is probably code there, and a good idea, along with a drain on the catch tank, plus a long overflow line attached to the T&P valve on the WH that runs outside, and preferably to some type of water alarm sensor.

I would also use some type of water alarm located inside the catch tank, but if its battery powered the batteries wont last long in that heat, so make sure it has a remote sensor.

I would not set the unit's temperature above 110º...assuming an attic temperature in this range (or above), your water heating bill for most of the year will be quite low.

Most multi-story commercial buildings have very large water tanks located in the top floor (or on the roof) of the building, to pressurize all the water fixtures in that building. Nothing at all wrong with having water stored above your head, as long as you take a few precautions.

:happy34:

Edited by tx2sturgis

Well its in the Attic over the garage. Its on 2X4 s spanning across 4 rafters. Yes it has a catch pan with an overflow drain in 1" PVC. If it did have a leak or catastrophic failure that exceeded the catch pan, worse case damage would be garage ceiling drywall. With the rafter direction its possible water could flow back toward the laundry room which is tile floor, so drywall would be the only issue there. If I want to be real anal I could flash the area between the rafters beneath the heater to ensure the water diverts over the garage only. I'm not overly concerned about it.

The original Water heater was a Ruud, lasted 8 years, with 6 of those on well water. Been on City Water here Since 2009. I assume the City water will be beeter than the well in terms of the heater longevity. Cost for Water/sewer infrastructure in Cape Coral was astronomical. Google it if your so inclined.

Bought the Cheap 40 gallon medium GE from Home Depot. Its Manufactured by RHEEM and has a 6 year warranty. I'm with Ruffy on this one. The medium height units are only 19 3/4 wide and fits right up through the attic hatch.

RSTDdog

heat pump heater

Hi, I saw you post asking about heat pump water heaters. I am a plumber/gas fitter for a local school district and have just installed one in one of the schools.

First you have to remember it is an air conditioner..... so any heat you take out of the house in the summer it is great nut in the winter you are paying for that heat. so think about where you put it so you are not heating an area with the furnace so you can cool it with the water heater. If you have a garage that you do not care too much about keeping it warm then great. What we are doing is changing out the 75 gallon electric tanks sitting in school boiler rooms that run upwards of 100 degrees in the winter from "waisted" heat and capturing that heat for the water. It only runs on the electric immersion coils if the heat pump cannot keep up after a time period.

So far so good.... this summer we have the only air conditioned boile room in town and it is great. All the trades like to make sure their equipment is in good order in that room on hot days.

Tankless water heaters are great... I have one in my own home... The joy of being a gas fitter.... I can have what I want in gas. Nothing beats a tankless that is properly sized and installed. Anyone that questions them just needs to go to Europe and Asia where they have used them for decades. I have had 4 sons my wife and I using this unit... one of the first on the market in Canada... for about 6 years, you think girl use a lot of hot water... try teenaged boys. Yes it needs to be serviced but so does your car and your bike if you are going to own it. Had you serviced that old electric tank you have had leaking it likely would have lasted 2 or 3 years longer too.

If tankless is an option.....do it..... you will not regret it.