IGNORED

Nice Sunday ride cut short

mabeline

Myself and Kevin (Kevinfalk on VR) headed out on Sunday for a nice approx. 800 km ride. From Stettler down through the Kananaskis and back. About 45 mins from home a deer flew out of the ditch and hit Kevin causing him to crash. I guess I paniced and grabbed to much brake to try and avoid everything and laid mine down also. Both of us faired pretty good, Kevin ended up with a broken ankle and a really sore shoulder. His bike not so good, the only thing not damaged is his new Russel Daylong seat. Myself, I ended up with road rash on my elbows, knees and hip. Bike got chewed up on the leftside pretty bad. Thank God for leathers is all I can say, they did a stand up job keeping the asphault from eating at my skin.

My question though, does anyone have any tips on dealing with insurance . I know every state and province is different but anything might help. I just always get the feeling they're going to put the boots to ya in the end.:confused24:

Conrad

Conrad ... so glad you guys are gonna be ok. As for the insurance, out here in BC, it's always a good idea to consult with a lawyer first. Most times they'll take any fees out of the settlement. ... and don't sign anything that the insurance co sticks in front of you unless you're completely satisfied with what they are offering. Always keep in mind when dealing with a settlement that bodily injuries today may heal "on the surface" but can come back to haunt you later in life. I've learned the hard way that insurance co are not necessarilly there "for you" and they will do whatever it takes to protect their own interests.

It is now the job of the insurance company to pay you as little as possible. And they hire professionals to do that. So it probably wouldn't hurt for you to have a professional on your side. Just be patient since speed kills insurance claims too.

Mike

I guess it really depends on the insurance provider. I plowed a deer with a goldwing 5 years ago and kept it up. Broken tupperware and a bunks toe from the. Carcass pinning my foot to the brake pedAL. Of course maybe they were more obliging because I didnt lay it down or total it or myself. That time felt like I got a fair deal.

Bob

Marshall, il.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

My opinion and I will get told I'm wrong on this one but you have a contract with your Insurance. Just keep after them and don't give up. You can pay a Lawyer a big chunk of it for doing nothing but I refuse to do that. If they refuse to honor their contract then its time for a lawyer. With his cost being above what your contract calls for. Take it to the Insurance Commissioner. They don't like that at all.

Glad to hear you're both relatively okay. Sorry to hear about the bikes, good luck dealing with insurance.

I read Tom is trying to take on bigger prey then we were, hope everything comes out alright for Tom. They make new bikes every day even though you do get attached to them somewhat.

Thanks to everyone else for the advice.

Conrad