IGNORED

Motor Cycle Tent Camping

dddeering

OK, so we've got freezing rain outside today and I'm working on a couple summer tour camping trips. These trips will be about a week to 10 days in length and we like staying in State camp grounds (Better half likes the hot Showers and clean restrooms).

Anyway, my 2 man timberline backpacker tent is on its last leg and to be honest, its getting a little tight with all the necessities we/she likes to bring along.

So, here is the question:

"What advise can you all give me on tents that are compact for strapping on and roomie at the same time.

Guest MotorCycleRadio

The wife and I toured Europe with a Sears 2 man tent. Just room enough for sleeping. But it was easy to tote, and beat the heck out of hotel prices. Got a hotel room about every 3d day for showers and laundry. Don't forget the waterproof bag for clean clothes.

I looked for awhile for a good tent for the bike. I bought the 4 man apache umbrella tent (www.apachetents.com). Sets up in 60 seconds and is totally water proof. I have been in some down pours and stayed dry. Its a bit pricey but I thought it was worth the money. Not sure what they cost now. Bought mine about 4-5 years ago.

Dale

this is just like mine and its a great little tent easy to setup to

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=193950

and this is the one im going to get for next year as i want something i can stand up in for the long rain days or just long stays and room to throw the air bed and gear

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Bugaboo-Four-Five-Person-Family/dp/B0007IS606]Amazon.com: Columbia Bugaboo Four to Five-Person Family Dome Tent: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

I picked this one up a couple of years ago and we have had a great time with it and my 83 Venture pulls it fine.

There are a lot of campgrounds along the Blue Ridge Parkway that are inexpensive and have hot showers. You may have to get a little off the BRP because most on the parkway are almost primitive camping.

I payed about $150 bucks for it. We have a full size air mattress in it.

RandyA

I picked this one up a couple of years ago and we have had a great time with it and my 83 Venture pulls it fine.

There are a lot of campgrounds along the Blue Ridge Parkway that are inexpensive and have hot showers. You may have to get a little off the BRP because most on the parkway are almost primitive camping.

I payed about $150 bucks for it. We have a full size air mattress in it.

RandyA

randy!!!!!!! when did they put steering wheels on a first gen!???

or is the wheel in the picture an "optical conclusion"????

lol

just jt

p.s. did the cat come with it, or was that an after market add on?

lol

just jt

I love to MC camp and I too like a tent that I can stand up in. If I'm taking my trailer I will take my big tent, but if I am traveling light, I take my two man Eureka tent.

A couple of things that I have learned:

1. You want a tent listed as for one more person than will actually be using it. ie. two man tent for one person, three man tent for two. This leaves room for "stuff" in the tent as well.

2. Get an exo-skeleton tent. My big tent (which is 15 years old!) has shock corded poles that have to go through material tubes on the outside of the tent. This was a real pain and caused it to take 20/25 minutes to set up or take down. Then I got my Eureka and learned about the skeleton style. I took my big tent, a couple of beers, a soldering iron and some small carabiners and and changed it. I used the soldering iron to burn holes in the excess fabric tubes and put eyelets in them. Then I put the carabiners throgh the holes. Now all I have to do to set up the tent is put the two poles together, hook them to the corners and snap the carabiners on the poles. It now takes about 5 minutes to set up or take down!

Enjoy your camping!

You ought to plan on coming to the August gathering in Asheville, NC. that muffinman is setting up!

I just buy the cheapest two man tent I can find, the one I have now is about 4 years old and I have never set it up.. I usually just crawl inside of it in its collapesed state and go to sleep.. If its real rainy I will roll it around my sleeping back so the bottom of the tent keeps the rain off.. Also,, I have had several tents wrecked from camp fires, lost two from being blown off the rim of the grand canyon, had one stolen off the back of my bike so I dont buy expensive ones anymore... Besides,, your not suppose to make a home out of your tent,, thats what the highway if for..

Mine is the house you see first,, my cousin in the background with his is a perfect example of an unseasoned rider.. This is only his second 6 week cross country trip with me so he hasnt quite got it figured out yet.. Anyway,, you get the point.. 'Puc

randy!!!!!!! when did they put steering wheels on a first gen!???

or is the wheel in the picture an "optical conclusion"????

lol

just jt

p.s. did the cat come with it, or was that an after market add on?

lol

just jt

The steering wheel is actually on the lawn tractor the camper is hooked to. This was the first time we put it up when we brought it home. You also may notice I painted the ABS tub a creame color later on.

The cat thinks we got the camper for him as he always climbs up in it as soon as it is opened up.

Here should be a better picture of the cat.

RandyA

Yet again, I am ammased at all the feedback and assistance I get from everyone.

The last post is on a Tent that I am favoring.

Here is a tent that apparently is made in the same factory but a bit cheaper.

http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/ALPSMountaineeringTaurus.htm

Thanks again for all the feedback.

BTW: Cowpuc, You got the right idea,,,,, Ride, not sleep