IGNORED

K&N filters how often cleaning?

I pulled my K&N filters off tonight after realizing they hadn't been pulled to be cleaned in say (cough cough) 20 or 30,000 miles.. ouch..

But looking at them.. I'm wondering if it was just the right time or premature or waaaay too late, hard to tell.. As the air comes into the box, it seems only the immediate area in front of the inlet hole is dirty while the rest of the filter looks pristine.. SO clean it's still fresh pink with oil.. SO weird.

It might not show well in the photo but just that small area has dirt on it (albeit a lot) but the rest of the filter is looking darn new..

How often do you clean YOUR K&N?

Cheers

I last serviced mine at 50K, and just turned 70K this weekend. So I'll probably service them again at my next fluid and filter changes in another 3K to 5K miles. Mine were also pretty clean the last time I had them out. My first indicator that they may need to be serviced is when my mileage starts to drop a little on a consistent basis under similar driving conditions. I'm starting to notice that now, so it's probably time.

I pulled my K&N filters off tonight after realizing they hadn't been pulled to be cleaned in say (cough cough) 20 or 30,000 miles.. ouch..

But looking at them.. I'm wondering if it was just the right time or premature or waaaay too late, hard to tell.. As the air comes into the box, it seems only the immediate area in front of the inlet hole is dirty while the rest of the filter looks pristine.. SO clean it's still fresh pink with oil.. SO weird.

It might not show well in the photo but just that small area has dirt on it (albeit a lot) but the rest of the filter is looking darn new..

How often do you clean YOUR K&N?

Cheers

As I understand it you got that about right :)

The pods on my Triple need cleaning a little more frequently, but they are completely exposed to road crap. On the Ventures, they are enclosed and will go a long way between cleanings.

Maybe less if you live in the desert.

Spent the day out on the bike and gone through a couple tanks of gas.. with the newly charged K&N.. couldn't honestly say fuel economy was improved nor performance.. I'm guessing they were reasonably clean before I recharged them.. I'd never seen oil come off those filters like it did last night, almost like fresh pink oil.. interesting.

At least the peace of mind that it's taken care of..

Cheers

I'm not using K&N in my Venture, but I've used them before on several bikes. Seems to me K&N claims you can go 50k miles or more between cleanings. The idea, as I understand it, is that as dirt accumulates the filter actually filters better. It probably doesn't flow air as well.

I've wondered how bad the filtration is right after a cleaning. Maybe best not to think about it, but I live in the desert and there is always a lot of dust in the air. That is the main reason I've stayed with the Yam paper elements up to now.